Advanced Math/How to disprove that all numbers A1,A2,A3, A4....An are less than their average?

Question
Its something very simple yet I cant figure it out. I know that if all a are smaller than their average, then you can show that this average is smaller than itself. But how to actually do that? Can you please explain this thing to me?

Thanks

Answer
Let's suppose the numbers are x1, x2, x3, ... x(n-1), xn.

Let's further suppose the average is a.

Let a new set of numbers be y1, y2, y3, ... y(n-1), yn
be found by yi = xi - a for all i from 1 to n.

What can be seen is sum(i=1 to n) yi = sum(i=1 to n)(xi-a).
On the right, we have sum(i=1 to n)(xi-a)
= sum(i=1 to n)xi + sum(i=1 to n)a
= sum(i=1 to n)xi - na.

It is known that [sum(i=1 to n)xi]/n = a, since a is the average.
Multiplying both sides by n gives sum(i=1 to n)xi] = na.
That says that sum(i=1 to n)xi - na = 0.

Now on the left we have sum(i=1 to n)yi and on the right we have 0.
For the sum of n numbers to be 0, there are two choices:
 1) All of the yi's are 0, which means all the x's were the same.
 2) At least one of the yi's is negative to cancel out the positives.

Since all of the numbers are different, when the average is subtracted from all of the answers, at least one of the numbers is negative to cancel out the positives.

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson