Advanced Math/Per Hour, Mile, Etc.

Question
QUESTION: Hello:

Is it incorrect to use the word "per" with rates in which the denominator is more that one or 1?

Example: It is common to hear, say, or write, 50 miles per hour, indicating 50 miles per one hour. Is it incorrect to say or write 150 miles per 3 hours?

This question may be more of an English usage question that mathematical.

I thank you for your reply.

ANSWER: Yes it is, it's just that most of the time people only put a 1 in the denominator.
For example, 50 miles per hour is the same as 2000 miles per 40 hours since 2000 = 40*50.

It is usually put as mph, but to write it out mathematically,  that is the really 50 m/h.
If conversion to other units are desired, just multiply so the units cancel.
For example, to compute miles/day, we would need to multiply by 24 hours/day.
That is really (24 hours) / (1 day), or (24h)/(1d).  The bottom is usually 1,
so the number is not put in.  Note that 24h/d is 48h/2d, or 12h/0.5d,
but 24 is used since there is a 1 in the denominator).

In manufacturing businesses, most people tend to ignore whether the units are on the top or bottom, but should really pay attention to it.  For example, I have seen a job where something was measured in inch-pounds.  I then saw the conversion to foot-pounds was to multiply it by 12.
This means the measurement is really in pounds/inch since it was multiplied by 12 inches/foot.
When this is done, the new units have inches/inch, and that cancels.

We found it very important in physics, chemistry, biology,
or any other science to always cancel the units.

QUESTION: Hello:

I'm somewhat confused.  Are you indicting that it is okay or not okay? I asked whether or not it is "incorrect" and you indicated: "Yes it is, ..." Does this mean yes it is incorrect or correct to use the word "per" with rates in which the denominator is more than 1?

I thank you for your clarification.

Answer
Every time people say, 'per,' it refers to a coefficient of 1 in the bottom of the fraction.
It might be per gallon, per pound, per foot, per second, per minute, per hour, per ton, per liter, per foot, per mile, ... the list goes on.  In each of these, it is assumed the speaker is talking about a unit of 1 gallon, 1 pound, 1 foot, 1 second, 1 minute, 1 hour, 1 ton, 1 liter, 1 foot, 1 mile, ... or whatever else.

If, 'per,' is used with anything besides one, the number must be given.
For example, bananas might be $1 per 2 bananas, which implies 50c per banana.

If the price of widgets was 20c each, it could be said they had the price of $1 per 5 widgets.
It could also be said that they were selling at $2 per 10 widgets, or $10 per 50 widgets.
Note that when the bottom does not have a 1, the number must be stated.  

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson