Advanced Math/Quantitative analysis for managerial applications

Question
A salesman has a 60% chance of making a sale to any one customer. The behaviour of successive customers is independent. If two customers A and B enter, what is the probability that the salesman will make a sale to A or B.

Answer
I find it best to make a diagram.
That would be a box with A and B, only A, only B, and neither.
Note that A and B would be found by multiplying 0.6 * 0.6, and this gives 0.36.
Next, to not have A sell (which is the same chance as not having B sell),
it is 1 - 0.6 = 0.4.  This makes the chance of neither be 0.4 * 0.4 = 0.16.
The chance of only A is then 0.6 * 0.4 = 0.24.
This is the same as only B.

What we would be looking for would be A and B + only A + only B = 0.36 + 0.24 + 0.24 = 0.84.
Another way to do it is to note that what we are looking for is the same as one minus the chance of neither, and that is 1 - 0.16 = 0.84.

Both give the same answer.

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson