Advanced Math/Fractions & Division

Why does a fraction represent division?  For example, 2/5 indicates dividing 2 by 5.

I thank you for your reply.

Sorry for the delayed response...
Fractions have many different meanings.
Ratios can also be written as a fraction where the number in the numerator is how many of one thing there is for the number in the denominator, for example 3/5 could be for every 3 girls there are 5 boys.
Writing 3/5 and saying 3 divided by 5 is just another interpretation of the line between the numbers, in other words it is a symbol used for that purpose.
You always have such thought provoking questions!

Professor Wallin

Advanced Math

Sombra Shadow

I can answer most questions up through Calculus and some in Number Theory and Abstract Algebra.

I have had my Bachelor's Degree since 1987 and have been a teacher since 1988. I earned my Masters Degree in Mathematics May 2010. I have been teaching at the same community college since 2002.

I have taught 12 years at the community college level, medical college, and technical college as well as a high school instructor and alternative education instructor and charter school instructor.

Master's GPA 3.56 Bachelor's GPA 3.34 Post grad work not degree related GPA 4.0