Advanced Math/Linear algebra 1

I am having difficulty figuring out how to proceed with this problem. Any help demonstrating the expression of the vector for each respective triangle would be greatly appreciated.

Express  vector x and vector y  in terms of vector u , vector v  and vector w .

Let me denote vectors with an uppercase letter, so that we want X and Y in terms of U, V and W.

a) It looks like X + U = -V, so that X = -(U + V). The minus sign comes from the fact that V is drawn as pointing away from the end of U towards the beginning of X.

b) U + X = V so X = V - U

Y = U + W.

c) Let the vector joining the end of U to the end of W be Q. Then U + Q = W. Since X hits the middle of Q, X = U +(1/2)Q = U +(1/2)(W - U) = (1/2)(W + U). You can verify this by looking at how many units (squares) are needed vertically and horizontally to go from the point at the end of U to the end of X vs the end of W (half as many).

Stringing the vectors together, W + V + Y = U so that Y = U - W - V.  

Advanced Math

randy patton

college mathematics, applied math, advanced calculus, complex analysis, linear and abstract algebra, probability theory, signal processing, undergraduate physics, physical oceanography

26 years as a professional scientist conducting academic quality research on mostly classified projects involving math/physics modeling and simulation, data analysis and signal processing, instrument development; often ocean related

J. Physical Oceanography, 1984 "A Numerical Model for Low-Frequency Equatorial Dynamics", with M. Cane

M.S. MIT Physical Oceanography, B.S. UC Berkeley Applied Math

Also an Expert in Oceanography