Advanced Math/Linear Algebra

Suppose vector a=[1,1,2], vector b=[2,0,3], vector c=[4,2,7], vector p=[0,1,1], vector q=[1,0,1], vector r=[1,1,0].
Determine whether vector v=[7,-2,9] belongs to :
(a) span {vector a, vector b, vector c}
(b) span {vector p, vector q, vector r}

I don't know how to find the span

FInding the span: To span 3-D, we need

1. vectors with 3 components (the x, y, z dimensions)
2. none of the components is zero in ALL of the vectors (otherwise they couldn't span that dimension)
3. at least 3 vectors that are LINEARLY INDEPENDENT.

Items 1 and 2 are obvious. We also meet the first requirement of Item 3 (3 vectors). The rest of Item 3 requires some calculation. To be linearly independent means (the short answer is) that the so-called determinant of the matrix consisting of the columns of the 3 vectors is zero. I assume you have been introduced to determinants, but in any case, the calculation goes like

det(a^t,b^t,c^t)    where the superscript "t" means transpose (i.e., turns row vector into column vector)

= | 1  2  4  |
  | 1  0  2  |
  | 2  3  7  |

= 1・(0・7-2・3)-2・(1・7-2・2)+4・(1・3-0・2)     <- not unlike finding a cross product

= -6 - 6 + 12 = 0.

So the vectors are linearly independent and so span 3-D. Since the vector v is 3-D, it "belongs" to the space spanned by a,b ,c.

Use the same procedure to analyze vectors p, q and r.  Good luck.

Send me a follow-up if you want more details on the calculation (including theory).

Advanced Math

randy patton

college mathematics, applied math, advanced calculus, complex analysis, linear and abstract algebra, probability theory, signal processing, undergraduate physics, physical oceanography

26 years as a professional scientist conducting academic quality research on mostly classified projects involving math/physics modeling and simulation, data analysis and signal processing, instrument development; often ocean related

J. Physical Oceanography, 1984 "A Numerical Model for Low-Frequency Equatorial Dynamics", with M. Cane

M.S. MIT Physical Oceanography, B.S. UC Berkeley Applied Math

Also an Expert in Oceanography