Advanced Math/Linear algebra

Question
I am having difficulty with this problem.

Consider the sphere S of radius 5 centred at (1, 0,2). Find the equation of the plane tangent to S at the point (5,3,2).

Hint: To get started, draw this situation in 2D with a circle.

Answer
Since the sphere and the circles center are both a z=2, the third dimension can be dropped for a moment.  Find the equation of a tangent line to the circle (x-1)^2 + y^2 = 5^2 at (5,3).

To find a perpendicular to the line going from (1,0) to (5,3), note that the size is (5-1,3-0) =
(4,3).  Flip the x and y values and negate one of them.  This gives (3,-4) or (-3,4).  Note that one of those is the negative of the other.  This is done because the dot product of (a,b)(-b,a) is -ab + ab = 0.  This means the lines are perpendicular since the dot product is 0.

The equation of the line would be 3x - 4y = 3*5 - 4*3 = 3.
That is, it is 3x - 4y = 3.

Getting back to 3 dimensional, let z be any value with 3x - 4y = 3.
This will generate a plane that is straight up and down crossing through the horizontal x-y plane.

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson