Advanced Math/Parallel and linear dependence

-For parallel we have larned that to vectors are parallel if there exists a lambda in R so that vector v = (lambda)(vector w) OR vector w = (lambda)(vector v)

I dont understand what to do for this probem at all. Thanks for any help.

For any two vectors vector v, vector w in R^n.

(a) State the de nition of linearly dependence and the definition of parallel for {vector v vector w}.
(b) Assume that vector v and vector w are linearly dependent. Show that they are parallel using the definitions of (a).
(c) Assume that vector v and vector w are parallel. Show that they are linearly dependent using the definitions of (a).

So far, for part a) I have obtained:
- For linear dependence: Let vector v and vector w be in R^n.
vector v and vector w are linearly dependent if there are constants not all zereos so that a_1(vector v)+a_2(vector w)= vector 0.

For part b I was thinking of maybe plugging in the value of v from the definition of parallel into that of linear dependence and say that the vectors are still parallel because they are just being stretched due to being multiplied by constants a and lambda. For part c i have no clue. Thanks for the help on this problem.

(a) They are linearly dependent if there is some constant C such that Cv = w.
They are parallel if their cross product, v x w, is 0.

(b) If they are linearly dependent, then Cv = w.
We can take v x w and change it to v x (Cv) = C(v x v).
The cross product of a vector with itself is 0, and times a constant is still 0.

(c) If the vectors are parallel, then we have Cv = w.
That is the definition of linearly dependent.  

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson

I can answer any question in general math, arithetic, discret math, algebra, box problems, geometry, filling a tank with water, trigonometry, pre-calculus, linear algebra, complex mathematics, probability, statistics, and most of anything else that relates to math. I can also say that I broke 5 minutes for a mile, which is over 12 mph, but is that relevant?

Experience in the area; I have tutored people in the above areas of mathematics for over two years in I have tutored people here and there in mathematics since before I received a BS degree back in 1984. In just two more years, I received an MS degree as well, but more on that later. I tutored at OSU in the math center for all six years I was there. Most students offering assistance were juniors, seniors, or graduate students. I was allowed to tutor as a freshman. I tutored at Mathnasium for well over a year. I worked at The Boeing Company for over 5 years. I received an MS degreee in Mathematics from Oregon State Univeristy. The classes I took were over 100 hours of upper division credits in mathematical courses such as calculus, statistics, probabilty, linear algrebra, powers, linear regression, matrices, and more. I graduated with honors in both my BS and MS degrees. Past/Present Clients: College Students at Oregon State University, various math people since college, over 7,500 people on the PC from the US and rest the world.

My master's paper was published in the OSU journal. The subject of it was Numerical Analysis used in shock waves and rarefaction fans. It dealt with discontinuities that arose over time. They were solved using the Leap Frog method. That method was used and improvements of it were shown. The improvements were by Enquist-Osher, Godunov, and Lax-Wendroff.

Master of Science at OSU with high honors in mathematics. Bachelor of Science at OSU with high honors in mathematical sciences. This degree involved mathematics, statistics, and computer science. I also took sophmore level physics and chemistry while I was attending college. On the side I took raquetball, but that's still not relevant.

I earned high honors in both my BS degree and MS degree from Oregon State. I was in near the top in most of my classes. In several classes in mathematics, I was first. In a class of over 100 students, I was always one of the first ones to complete the test. I graduated with well over 50 credits in upper division mathematics.

My clients have been students at OSU, people who live nearby, friends with math questions, and several people every day on the PC. I would guess that you are probably going to be one more.