Advanced Math/Remote control device for Laptops, Desktops.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Scott

1. Can a remote control device be built for a Laptops and Desktops ?. i.e. Is it technically feasible to built a remote control device similar to a Television set remote control ?.

The remote control device will have functions such as power on/off the laptop, desktop devices, restart/reboot, shutdown, accessing BIOS Setup program, accessing specific applications/programs etc.

2. Do you feel a remote control device for Laptops, Desktop computers if designed and manufactured can be useful to the consumer market ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: We have a remote control for the TV that has on/off.  Using this, we can restart the TV by turning it off and back on.  I believe that somewhere I saw someone who used their TV to be a PC screen, but as of yet, they had to rewire it so I don't believe it could be used as a TV.  It seems like the possibility is already out there, but it hasn't taking on the interest of many people yet.  Those who have it probably think its useful, but not so useful that they've told their friends about it.

Now on the mathematical side, T and V are the 20th and 22nd letters, and 20+22=42.  There was once a futuristic book I read about the computers of the future that could answer questions.  They asked it, "What is the meaning of life, the universe, and everything?"  After many months of the computer working away, it output 42.  I didn't even think about it at the time, but as I just wrote, that's the sum of the letter positions of T and V in the alphabet.

Now that I brought up 42, I'll sat it is in the series of the product of progressive numbers.
That series goes 0, 2, 6, 12, 20, 30, 42, 56, 72, 90, 110, 132, 156, etc.
That is, 0*1 = 0,  1*2 = 2, 2*3 = 6, 3*4 = 12, 4*5 = 20, 5*6 = 30, and 6*7 = 42.
It should be noted that  number in this series are n+n or (n+1)-(n+1).
As and example, lets take 42 = 6*7, so n=6.  n+n = 36+6 = 42 and (n+1)-(n+1) = 49-7 = 42.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Scott

Thank you.

1. Do you feel such a remote control device can be manufactured for all desktops and laptops running different Operating Systems viz Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac Os, Sun Solaris, Linux, IBM AIX, IBM Os/2, HP UX etc ?

2. The Remote control will be a combination/integrated device of wireless keyboard and wireless mouse functionality will have push buttons similar to a TV Remote control device. The Device will have a Trackball mouse integration. The Remote control device will work on infrared technology. Instead of a Flat Horizontal Keyboard interface the remote control device will be vertical rectangle screen similar to a TV Remote control device.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

I haven't used all of the devices mentioned (like Apple Mac OS, Sun Solaris, Linus, etc.),
but feel that it could be applied to any language.

On the PC, I will discuss word processors, spreadsheets, and programming languages.  There are some tasks that are repeated on a computer.  After having used several PC languages (FORTRAN, BASIC, Pascal, C++, Assembler, COBOL), I don't see many tasks in these languages that are repetitive (some are sort of repetitive, but not exactly).  In word processors (MS Word, LEWP, MS Office), there is a set of repetitive tasks in each language that a remote control device could be programmed to do with the ability to do some add-ons.  Using spreadsheets (Excel, Lotus, MS Office), there is a definite set of tasks that could be programmed into a remote control device.

However, since most of the work has been programmed into the key-board using function keys, it seems like it is more accessible there.  Just because this is so, however, it could be made easier if the shift, control, alternate keys on the keyboard were changed into a key on the remote device.

As an overview, just because we don't see how it could be done doesn't mean someone is already starting to think about it.  When I was growing up, they didn't see how PCs could ever be made with a screen.  All text was around 4x8 pixels.  When it was printed out, another person could tell it was printed by the PC and not by hand.  In fact, resumes had to be hand typed, for people really looked down on output that came from a PC.  None of this is true anymore.  In light of this, even though we may not see what's coming, it will be obvious to us when it happens.

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson

I can answer any question in general math, arithetic, discret math, algebra, box problems, geometry, filling a tank with water, trigonometry, pre-calculus, linear algebra, complex mathematics, probability, statistics, and most of anything else that relates to math. I can also say that I broke 5 minutes for a mile, which is over 12 mph, but is that relevant?

Experience in the area; I have tutored people in the above areas of mathematics for over two years in I have tutored people here and there in mathematics since before I received a BS degree back in 1984. In just two more years, I received an MS degree as well, but more on that later. I tutored at OSU in the math center for all six years I was there. Most students offering assistance were juniors, seniors, or graduate students. I was allowed to tutor as a freshman. I tutored at Mathnasium for well over a year. I worked at The Boeing Company for over 5 years. I received an MS degreee in Mathematics from Oregon State Univeristy. The classes I took were over 100 hours of upper division credits in mathematical courses such as calculus, statistics, probabilty, linear algrebra, powers, linear regression, matrices, and more. I graduated with honors in both my BS and MS degrees. Past/Present Clients: College Students at Oregon State University, various math people since college, over 7,500 people on the PC from the US and rest the world.

My master's paper was published in the OSU journal. The subject of it was Numerical Analysis used in shock waves and rarefaction fans. It dealt with discontinuities that arose over time. They were solved using the Leap Frog method. That method was used and improvements of it were shown. The improvements were by Enquist-Osher, Godunov, and Lax-Wendroff.

Master of Science at OSU with high honors in mathematics. Bachelor of Science at OSU with high honors in mathematical sciences. This degree involved mathematics, statistics, and computer science. I also took sophmore level physics and chemistry while I was attending college. On the side I took raquetball, but that's still not relevant.

I earned high honors in both my BS degree and MS degree from Oregon State. I was in near the top in most of my classes. In several classes in mathematics, I was first. In a class of over 100 students, I was always one of the first ones to complete the test. I graduated with well over 50 credits in upper division mathematics.

My clients have been students at OSU, people who live nearby, friends with math questions, and several people every day on the PC. I would guess that you are probably going to be one more.