Advanced Math/Automated Halt Mechanism on Brakes Failure.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Scott

Is the following automated system can be designed and developed in a four wheeler i.e. Car, Jeep, Truck etc  ?.

Example :

Driver is driving the vehicle at 160 Km/Hr speed on a highway.
Suddenly he/she realizes that the brakes have failed now in this case the driver has to use his all driving skills to avoid collisions and accidents.

The Automated System designed will slowly and gradually halt/stop the automobile even in case of brakes failure.

Another way is "Prevention is better than cure". A instrument control Panel indicating the possibility of brakes wear and tear out.

Is it possible to automate the motion stop operation in event
of vehicle brakes failure ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Yes, it would be possible to put in a detection system on cars to check the brakes.  It would, of course, take a little more money, but probably not that much.  Using this, that car could be programmed to proceed to proceed at reduced speeds or come to a stop if the brakes get worn.

By the way, is that a legal speed over there?  We do everything in miles per hour.  I believe that 160 kilometers per hour is roughly 100 miles per hour. Over here the top speed limit is 70 mph, and that is on the freeway (where there's no stop lights or people).  In various other areas, it varies from 20 mph to 50 mph.  As a note on the side, they have found that cars get the best mileage when they travel around 50 mph, but that was a study done many years ago.

With the way technology is increasing, it seems like almost anything is possible, like detecting when there are objects in the vehicles way.  The computer could slow down the car depending on what it sees.  It also should be able to detect whether or not the object is worth noticing.

For example, what's in the way could be any number of things, like ...
 cardboard, pop cans, part of a plant, or something else light, or
 something heavy that is worth worrying about.  (Car parts, fallen trees, etc.)

If it doesn't recognize it as being not worth worrying about, it could alert the driver while bringing the car to a gradual stop.

Some of the problems with this might be pot-holes, stuff blown by the wind, corners to be taken that the car didn't know about, or curb sections to park the car against.

By the way, some say the key-words I include are considered to be a funny pun.
Does that mean they're pun-ny?  (No, that's not a word here either)

Here is an off the wall question - have you ever seen a book called,
"Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"?  It's full of what are called puns.
They are done when a word has to meanings, as in break or brake;
to, too, or two; fast as in speed or fast as in not eating;
gross as in twelve dozen or gross as in really bad;

While I'm talking about that, traffic in the city is know as, 'stop and go traffic'.
If there were a lot of balloons on the road way, would it be, 'pop and go traffic'?
If it was referring to a policeman, would it be, 'cop and go traffic'?
If it was referring to stopping to get an understanding of something, would it be
'stop and know traffic'?

Some way the words I say have too much pun-ishment to them ...

Seen US football?  A punt is something that's done to the ball.
Using this, others say that at time I drop back and pun-t ...

At this, there are those who say it is not very punny.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Scott

Thank you.

Is it possible to automate the motion stop operation in event of vehicle brakes failure ?.

The 4 Wheeler engine stops working automatically when brakes fail resulting in stop / halt function but what about the speed ?.

Slowly and Gradually we have to slow down the vehicle. Otherwise applying brakes at 100 km/hr, 120 km/hr, 150 km/hr, 200 km/hr speed will result in ?.

The Driver's speed will vary from 40 km/hr, 60 km/hr, 80 km/hr, 100 km/hr, 120 km/hr, 150 km/hr, 200 km/hr etc

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

As far as I know, the brakes are the only method of stopping a vehicle.  Since my knowledge of brakes is limited, I won't say much more than from what I know.   Before brakes fail, they require more pressure to work, they squeak, or they don't stop very fast.  The thing to be aware of is there is usually a squeaky noise before they go out.

I do know at high speeds, it is not good to use brakes,
as this wears them out quickly and can cause very bad smells.

I found an article
on how they work.  There is a quiz included, though I'm not sure how the quiz works.  It is at
At the bottom, there is a section on brakes failing.

The above addresses probably don't work from here, but they can be cut from here and pasted into your search box.

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson

I can answer any question in general math, arithetic, discret math, algebra, box problems, geometry, filling a tank with water, trigonometry, pre-calculus, linear algebra, complex mathematics, probability, statistics, and most of anything else that relates to math. I can also say that I broke 5 minutes for a mile, which is over 12 mph, but is that relevant?

Experience in the area; I have tutored people in the above areas of mathematics for over two years in I have tutored people here and there in mathematics since before I received a BS degree back in 1984. In just two more years, I received an MS degree as well, but more on that later. I tutored at OSU in the math center for all six years I was there. Most students offering assistance were juniors, seniors, or graduate students. I was allowed to tutor as a freshman. I tutored at Mathnasium for well over a year. I worked at The Boeing Company for over 5 years. I received an MS degreee in Mathematics from Oregon State Univeristy. The classes I took were over 100 hours of upper division credits in mathematical courses such as calculus, statistics, probabilty, linear algrebra, powers, linear regression, matrices, and more. I graduated with honors in both my BS and MS degrees. Past/Present Clients: College Students at Oregon State University, various math people since college, over 7,500 people on the PC from the US and rest the world.

My master's paper was published in the OSU journal. The subject of it was Numerical Analysis used in shock waves and rarefaction fans. It dealt with discontinuities that arose over time. They were solved using the Leap Frog method. That method was used and improvements of it were shown. The improvements were by Enquist-Osher, Godunov, and Lax-Wendroff.

Master of Science at OSU with high honors in mathematics. Bachelor of Science at OSU with high honors in mathematical sciences. This degree involved mathematics, statistics, and computer science. I also took sophmore level physics and chemistry while I was attending college. On the side I took raquetball, but that's still not relevant.

I earned high honors in both my BS degree and MS degree from Oregon State. I was in near the top in most of my classes. In several classes in mathematics, I was first. In a class of over 100 students, I was always one of the first ones to complete the test. I graduated with well over 50 credits in upper division mathematics.

My clients have been students at OSU, people who live nearby, friends with math questions, and several people every day on the PC. I would guess that you are probably going to be one more.