Advanced Math/Microsoft Excel Column Name Updates.

Question
Dear Prof Scott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Excel
http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/excel/
http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=10
http://spreadsheets.about.com/od/tipsandfaqs/f/excel_use.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address

Do you feel Column Name changes from A, B, C to 1., 2., 3., 4. will have more advantages over the current
column name as A,B,C ... i.e. Similar to IP Address example 115.252.130.182

The Record/s names will remain the same as 1,2,3 ....

Examples :

1.

For example A1 refers to Column 1, Row 1 and has value as 3 so we refer the cell value as A1=3
Now instead of A1=3, we will refer as 1.1=3

2.

For example C4 refers to Column 3, Row 4  and has value as Hello so we refer the cell value as C4=Hello
Now instead of C4=Hello, we will refer as 3.4=Hello

Advantages
----------

Since the column name is changed from character to whole number(integer), the values in the column can go take any limits.

For example :

999.56 refers to column  999 and  row 56
3456.43 refers to column  3456 and  row 43

Note : Column Name should be changed to 1. (i.e. 1 followed by a Dot) and not only 1 because if we keep only 1 then for example 123 creates a ambiguity of which is the column i.e. 1 or 12.

In this example 123 will lead to column 1 , row 23 or column 12, row 3    

Correct :

12.3 refers to column 12, row 3
1.23 refers to column 1, row 23

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Some people might get confused as to which is a column and which is a row.  Even though the column is 1st all the time, some people may think the row is first and end up in the wrong place.
Using letters as column labels allows the column labels to be narrower when needed.
For example, out in column 100, 100 has 3 letters whereas CV {yes, CV is 3-22,
which is 3*26 + 22 =  78 + 22 = 100 } only has 2.

Out in column 676, 676 is three digits whereas ZZ { 676 is 26*26 } is only 2.
Out in column 17576, 17576 has 5 character whereas ZZZ { 16576 = 26*26*26 } is only 3.
This doesn't seem important, but it might be.  I think the first argument is more realistic.

That was a good point about cell 123 where 1.23 would be different that 12.3.  In the upper left corner of the spreadsheet, most cells are 2 characters whereas putting a decimal in the middle makes them 3 characters.

It might also require a lot more thought when F4 is striked { F4 puts in dollar signs },
for the user would need to remember whether the row or column came first.

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson