Advanced Math/Subscript and Superscript Numbers,

Question
Dear Prof Scott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscript_and_superscript

Do you feel the Subscript and Superscript can also be used accepting negative numbers, fractional numbers, decimal numbers, complex numbers, trigonometric values, logarithm, antilog, Unicode characters  etc other than Whole numbers (Integers) in future applications viz Typography, Chemistry, Physics etc

Examples : -3, 2/3, 3.14, −3.5 + 2i, Sin 30, log 100, antilog 2, (Copyright sign) etc

i.e. Superscripts and Subscript accepting other numbers, characters other than whole numbers.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Usually references are a superscript integer [1].

I suppose they can be, but from all of the references [2] that I have seen [3], the number usually refers to the tag number that is being referenced.  That is why only positive integers are used, starting with 1.  Of course, I have sometimes seen letters used, starting with A.

In this article [4], I included a few to see if this is what you're talking about.

[1] However, sometimes references are just in brackets.

[2] And I've seen quite a few articles with references.

[3] I have seen multiple articles that referenced other articles, artwork, or music.

[4] Yes, that is talking about these references down below, like this one.

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson