Advanced Math/Bridge Structure Load / Stress Testing Tools.

Question
Dear Prof Scott

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge
http://pghbridges.com/basics.htm
http://science.howstuffworks.com/engineering/structural/10-amazing-bridges.htm
http://www.brantacan.co.uk/bridges.htm
http://www.bridge.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index_e.html

Are there Load / Stress Testing available during Bridge Site Inspection which will help the Structural
Engineer to take a decision whether the Bridge requires renovation measures ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
By Bridge, the types of brides are beam, truss, cantilever, arch, tied arch, suspension,
and cable stayed.

By Basics.com, there are deck beam, deck plate girder, and pony plate girder.

From 10-amazing-bridges.htm, I didn't get much.

In brantacan.co.uk/bridges.htm, I saw that they had around 100 of the world's famous bridges.  It is interesting that the Tacoma Narrows bridge is on the list, but the Golden Gate Bridge of San Fransisco is not there.  I don't remember the name of the bridge in Astoria, Oregon, but I do remember it is one of the longest bridges in the world.  Those are the only three famous bridges I have been over, for they are all on the west coast of the USA.  Of course, long ago when I was in the eastern side of the USA, I went over a rather big bridge on the Mississippi river down around the state of Mississippi.  That  makes three famous bridges.

In www.bridge.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index_e.html, I saw a several references that I didn't go into with a picture of some people at a bridge college in Japan.

Of course, as far as not so famous bridges, when I was growing up in Oregon in Tillamook, I once had a job in Bay City, which is a small town about 5 miles north.  I biked over that route and it was then I noticed that there were almost a dozen bridges.  They are all small and are there since they get over 100 inches of rain every year.  In grade school, I found out I was growing up in what's called a rain forest.

In the USA, we have the a group of Civil Engineers that go around inspecting bridges to make sure they are safe.  Every now and then they have some rework done on some of them.  In other parts of the world, I imagine they probably have some other organizations.

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson