Advanced Math/Level / Railroad Crossing Automated Systems.

Question
Level Crossing System 2
Level Crossing System  
Level Crossing System 1
Level Crossing System  
QUESTION: Dear Prof Scott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_crossing

Do you feel Automated Level / Railroad Crossings (i.e. Without Manual Intervention) of opening /closing gates have an edge over manual railroad systems in terms of prevention of pedestrian accidents,collisions of vehicles with trains i.e. safety measures ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Of course, if the program for opening the gates is checked out.
When something is automated and all of the bugs are worked out, it is always right.
When a person is asked to do something, there are errors now and then.

Yet when a person is operating the machine, sometimes we feel safer.

In the same way walk signs work on a street, however,
I believe these signs can be made to work just as well.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Scott

Thank you.

Do you feel if "Level Crossing Ringtones" i.e. Warning audible alarm bells are generated before 10-15 minutes to a Smartphone / Cell Phone Automobile / Vehicle driver can help him / her to slow down the vehicle before reaching the Level / Railway Crossing". ?.

The Level Crossing Ringing tones will ring the alarm bells audible sound as "Level Crossing Ahead at this Specific Geographical Location".

i.e. Smartphone / Cellphone Application / program design for this functionality.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Almost all of the railroad crossing I have seen have a gate that swings down now as bells go off.  The bells start well before the train gets there (kind of like a yellow light), and then when the train gets close, the gates come down (kind of like a red light).  These have seen to drastically reduce the number of accidents - that's why they put them up all over.

If they also had a way to make Smartphones / Cellphones beep, this would improve the system.

Some would say the way the system is is good enough, but I say that maybe some improvement should be looked into.  

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson