Advanced Math/Cell Reference in Excel application.

Question
Dear Prof Janet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Excel‎
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_(mathematics)‎

Cell Reference is intersection of column,row where data is to be inserted in the cell.

For example : A3 Cell data is 5. Now A3 cell is column 1 and row 3.

Instead of addressing a cell as columnrow i.e. A3 would we had use addressing a cell as rowcolumn, it would have become 3A. Now 3A=5.

In this case, the cell reference is 3A, now if this convention had
been applied instead of the columnrow convention for cell representation, would it had impacted other excel features ?.

Examples : 5C, 4B, 9R instead of C5,B4,R9 respectively.

The Matrix form representation is m rows * n columns.

Example : The notation of a 3 * 2 matrix : A[3,2] where number of
rows = 3 and number of columns = 2. There are total six elements in the matrix. A[2,3] matrix will be 2 rows and 3 columns with number of six elements in the matrix.

In excel, cell representation is A3 where A = Column name and 3 = row number and not 3A. i.e. ColumnRow and not rowcolumn convention.

In this case, the cell reference is 3A, now if this convention had been applied instead of the columnrow convention, a rowcolumn convention for cell representation, would it had impacted other excel features ?.

Example :

E3=7
R3C5=7
E3=R3C5

if i write 3E instead of using E3 and R3C5 cell references
saying 3E=7

Is   3E=E3 ?
    3E=R3C5 ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
I do not know why Excel references cells by (column, row) instead of the conventional (row, column), nor why they chose to use letters for columns and numbers for rows instead of the other way around. Their choice of protocol does not affect the features of the software. It is only a convention for locating data and does not affect how the data are processed.

You cannot reference a cell as 3E instead of E3. If you try, Excel will view it as an error (and ask if you meant to write E3).

If you enter 3E or E3 as data (as opposed to a cell reference), it will be treated as text. Even as text, "3E" ≠ "E3".

Janet

Advanced Math

Janet Yang