Advanced Math/Train Derailment Example.

Question
Dear Prof Scott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_laws_of_motion
http://teachertech.rice.edu/Participants/louviere/Newton/‎
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum‎
http://www.stmary.ws/highschool/physics/home/notes/dynamics/momentum/LAWCONSERVA

Example : Rocket launching is example of Sir Issac Newton's
Third Law of Motion.

Examples :

1. Train running at 300 km/hr speed may get derailed by applying Sudden Brakes manually by motorman or automated.

2. Automobile viz Car, Truck etc is moving at 150 km/hr speed. Human Beings sitting in the automobile experience a forward push when sudden brakes are applied by the driver.

i.e. Body having mass moving at maximum speed is suddenly brought
to rest by applying resist force (apply brakes).

The above two examples best illustrates which Sir Issac Newton's three Laws of motion, Law of conservation of momentum etc ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
It is known that the three principles of dynamics presented by Sir Isaac Newton are
 1: Objects at rest tend to stay the way they are unless acted on by an outside force.
 That is, objects at rest stay at rest and objects in motion maintain their current speed.

2: When an object is pushed, it increases in speed.  
 The bigger the object, the more push is needed.

3: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Now to get back to the questions:
1. The train being derailed is Isaac Newton's 3rd law of motion - the brakes are the action
and the derailment is the reaction.

2. The person in the automobile is suddenly brought to rest is again Newton's 3rd law.

Neither of these is an object at rest or an object in constant motion, so the 1st law of motion doesn't  apply.  Neither of these is an object increasing in speed from being pushed, so the 2nd law doesn't apply.

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson