Advanced Math/Complex Number Data in Excel Application.

Question
Dear Prof Scott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Excel‎
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_number

A complex number is a number that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit, where i2 = −1.

Examples
---------

6720000000 + 4i

1991230000000 + 6i

18.7 + 2i

6720000000 + 1991230000000i

0.0000000000345 - 0.34562222222222i

1. Do the current excel version allows us to enter complex number data in cells ?.

Data supported are : Number,Currency, Date, Time, Percentage, Fraction, Scientific,Text, Special,Custom

2. Can it be useful to enter Complex Number Data in Excel Spreadsheet ?.

3. Functions, Formulas in Excel can then be used for adding, subtracting,multiplication,division,power etc
of complex numbers ?.

Examples : SUM(), POWER(),PRODUCT() etc

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
1. No, the current version of Excel as is can't enter complex numbers, but a sheet to do operations on them could be created by using two cells for each number.

Let x = 2 + 3i and y = 4  + 5i.  Put x in row 1 and y in row 2 as follows:
Put 2 in A1 and 3 in B1 for x
Put 4 in A2 and 5 in B2 for y.

For the sum, in A4 put =A1+A2 and in B4 put =B1+B2.
This should give 6 in A4 (the real part) and 8 in B4 (the imaginary part).

For the product, in A6, put =A1*A2-B1*B2 and
in B6, put =A1*B2+B1*A2.
This should give -7 in A6 (the real part) and 22 in B6 (the imaginary part).

The results would be changed by altering the numbers in A1, A2, B1, and B2.

2. Yes, it can be very useful.
By the way, formula could be put in the change from rectangular
coordinates (x,y) to polar coordinates (r,A).
That is, r = sqrt(x + y) and tan(A) = y/x.

3. I have just shown addition and multiplication.
Subtraction could be done by entering
=A1-A2 in A5 and =B1-B2 in B5 (right between addition and multiplication.

For division

This is taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_number.

Back to the spreadsheet, we would have a in A1, b in B1, c in A2, and d in B2.

So using cells A7, put in =(A1*A2+B1*B2)/sqrt(A2^2+B2^2) and in
A8 put =(B1*A2-A1*B2)/sqrt(A2^2+B2^2).

In summary, it can be done, but each complex number takes two cells.  

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson