Advanced Math/Calculating the position of the nodes on a waveform

I have a waveform of y1(x)= 1.2*cos(1.2*x)+1.8*cos(1.8*x), and i need to find the position of the nodes.

I found the nodes for y2(x)= sin(x*1.2)+sin(x*1.8) with either x = nπ/(1.5) or x = (2n+1)*(π/0.6), where n = 0, 1,2 3, and so on.

but i can't find an easy way for the first one.

Tristan, it is indeed harder to find nodes for y1(x) than for y2(x). I didn't get a closed form solution but the maybe the following will help.

y1(x) = 1.2cos(1.2x) + 1.8cos(1.8x). The difference in the amplitudes of the cosines is of course what makes it tricky.

We want to find x such that y1(x) = 0 or, letting a = 1.2 and b = 1.8 for now

acos(ax) = -bcos(bx).

My approach is to introduce an increment d to the angle ax and to introduce a factor of π' = (2n+1)π to make the cosine negative so that

bcos(bx) = bcos(ax+d+π') which gives (it helps to draw 2 unit circles of radius a and b and plot these quantities)

d = (b-a)x-π',

which is fine except now we need another independent equation relating d and x to solve the problem. Again, using the unit circles,

acos(ax) = bcos(ax+d)     <- no π this time.

Using a trig identity, get

tan(ax) = sin(d)/(cos(d)-a/b)

Substituting the expression for d gives a complicated expression involving x, call it f(x). I don't think it can be solved in closed form for x (it transcendental) so the next step would be to get an approximate value for x by cross plotting

tan(ax) = f(x)

and seeing at what value of x they cross. This should give you the node. Sorry I can't give you a cleaner answer. Let me know if you want me to work some more on this. Good luck.  

Advanced Math

randy patton

college mathematics, applied math, advanced calculus, complex analysis, linear and abstract algebra, probability theory, signal processing, undergraduate physics, physical oceanography

26 years as a professional scientist conducting academic quality research on mostly classified projects involving math/physics modeling and simulation, data analysis and signal processing, instrument development; often ocean related

J. Physical Oceanography, 1984 "A Numerical Model for Low-Frequency Equatorial Dynamics", with M. Cane

M.S. MIT Physical Oceanography, B.S. UC Berkeley Applied Math

Also an Expert in Oceanography