Advanced Math/statistics

Question
1.   “Statistical unit is necessary not only for the collection of data, but also for the interpretation and presentation”. Explain the statement.
2.   Find the standard deviation and coefficient of skewness for the following distribution
Variable    0-5   5-10   10-15   15-20   20-25   25-30   30-35   35-40
Frequency   2   5   7   13   21   16   8   3

3.   A salesman has a 60% chance of making a sale to any one customer. The behaviour of successive customers is independent. If two customers A and B enter, what is the probability that the salesman will make a sale to A or B.

4.   To verify whether a course in Research Methodology improved performance, a similar test was given to 12 participants before and after the course. The original marks and after the course marks are given below:
Original Marks   44   40   61   52   32   44   70   41   67   72   53   72
Marks after the course   53   38   69   57   46   39   73   48   73   74   60   78
Was the course useful? Consider these 12 participants as a sample from a population.
5.   Write short notes on
a)   Bernoulli Trials
b)   Standard Normal distribution
c)   Central Limit theorem

Answer
1. When statistical units are involved in the collection of data, it implies that there is a tally chart that is filled in on what is collected.  From this, a histogram can be developed and the approximate mean and standard deviation seen by inspection of the chart.

2. The standard deviation is found by the (A-B/n)/(n-1) where A is the sum of the squares
(40768.75), B is the square of the sum (1642.5), and n is the sample size (8).
It turns out to be roughly 8.05.  According to http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Skewness.html ,
the skewness depends on the type of distribution that is used.  There are variations in approximating it known as the Person Skewness and the Bowley Skewness.

3. The P(A) is 0.60 and the P(B) is 0.60. This gives P(A only) at 0.6*0.4 = 0.24.
This is the same as P(B only).  The P(A&B) = 0.6*0.6 = 0.36.  That makes the probability of either happening being 0.24 + 0.24 + 0.36 = 0.84.  It makes the probability of only one happening at 0.24 + 0.24 = 0.48.

4. The standard deviations calculate out to be 14.1 and 14.3, so there is only a difference of 0.2 between these, which doesn't amount to a statistical difference in standard deviations.
The means calculate out to be 54 and 59, so the difference between them is 5.  Since the standard deviation is almost 3 times this value, there is no statistical significance to this.

5. Look up Bernoulli Trials, Standard Normal distribution, and Central Limit Theorem.
This sample data is from a Binomial distribution,  which can be approximated by the Normal distribution.  According to the central limit theorem, increasing population would give an average that is closer to the true average.

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson