Advanced Math/Distance

A wire fence is to be constructed with 9 strands of wire.  The lowest 3 spaces are 3, 3, and 4 inches.  The remaining spaces are becoming wider by the same amount.  Calculate distance between remaining wires.

Height of fence-  52.5 inches.

9 wires create 8 spaces.

"The remaining spaces are becoming wider by the same amount."
Widths of the remaining 5 spaces: 4+x, 4+2x, 4+3x, 4+4x, 4+5x.
total space: 3 + 3 + 4 + (4+x) +...+ (4+5x) = 52.5
30 + 15x = 52.5
x = 1.5

width of remaining 5 spaces:
5.5 in
7 in
8.5 in
10 in
11.5 in

Advanced Math

Janet Yang

I can answer questions in Algebra, Basic Math, Calculus, Differential Equations, Geometry, Number Theory, and Word Problems. I would not feel comfortable answering questions in Probability and Statistics or Topology because I have not studied these in depth.

I tutor students (fifth through twelfth grades) and am a Top Contributor on Yahoo!Answers with over 24,000 math solutions.

Co-author of An Outline of Scientific Writing: For Researchers With English as a Foreign Language

I have a Bachelor's degree in Applied Mathematics from the University of California at Berkeley.

George White Elementary School. Homework Help program at the Ridgewood Public Library, Ridgewood, NJ. Individual students.