Advanced Math/Homework Help

A few questions I need help figuring out how to do.

1. Given g(x) = 2tan4(x - pi/2) state the equation(s) of the asymptote(s) over a domain of 0 to pi

2. During an experiment, the intensity i(t) of the electric current of a device as a function of time (t) elapsed since the beginning of the expression is given by:

i(t) = 6sin((pi)(t)/12 + 2pi/3)) + 6 where t is expressed in seconds

The device emits a sound signal each time the current's intensity is equal to 9. The experiment lasts 120 seconds. How many sound signals does the device emit during the experiment?

Sorry I took so long.

1. I believe there is a vertical assymtote at x - pi/2 = pi/2.  Add pi/2 to both sides and then add on the fact that it occurs every time x is this value plus or minus pi.

2. For the intensity to be exactly 9, it occurs twice every cycle of the sin().
If the function were sin(x), the cycles would be 2*pi.

Multiply this by the inverse of the multiplier on x, giving 2*pi*12/pi = 24.

To look at it another way, note that the sin() function repeats for every passage of 2*pi in the x.  That would give an indication it repeats very 24 seconds.  Since 120 = 5*24, this means it repeats the cycle 5 times.  Since it crosses the value 9 twice in every interval,
the total number of times would be twice the number of intervals, which is 2*5 = 10.  

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson

I can answer any question in general math, arithetic, discret math, algebra, box problems, geometry, filling a tank with water, trigonometry, pre-calculus, linear algebra, complex mathematics, probability, statistics, and most of anything else that relates to math. I can also say that I broke 5 minutes for a mile, which is over 12 mph, but is that relevant?

Experience in the area; I have tutored people in the above areas of mathematics for over two years in I have tutored people here and there in mathematics since before I received a BS degree back in 1984. In just two more years, I received an MS degree as well, but more on that later. I tutored at OSU in the math center for all six years I was there. Most students offering assistance were juniors, seniors, or graduate students. I was allowed to tutor as a freshman. I tutored at Mathnasium for well over a year. I worked at The Boeing Company for over 5 years. I received an MS degreee in Mathematics from Oregon State Univeristy. The classes I took were over 100 hours of upper division credits in mathematical courses such as calculus, statistics, probabilty, linear algrebra, powers, linear regression, matrices, and more. I graduated with honors in both my BS and MS degrees. Past/Present Clients: College Students at Oregon State University, various math people since college, over 7,500 people on the PC from the US and rest the world.

My master's paper was published in the OSU journal. The subject of it was Numerical Analysis used in shock waves and rarefaction fans. It dealt with discontinuities that arose over time. They were solved using the Leap Frog method. That method was used and improvements of it were shown. The improvements were by Enquist-Osher, Godunov, and Lax-Wendroff.

Master of Science at OSU with high honors in mathematics. Bachelor of Science at OSU with high honors in mathematical sciences. This degree involved mathematics, statistics, and computer science. I also took sophmore level physics and chemistry while I was attending college. On the side I took raquetball, but that's still not relevant.

I earned high honors in both my BS degree and MS degree from Oregon State. I was in near the top in most of my classes. In several classes in mathematics, I was first. In a class of over 100 students, I was always one of the first ones to complete the test. I graduated with well over 50 credits in upper division mathematics.

My clients have been students at OSU, people who live nearby, friends with math questions, and several people every day on the PC. I would guess that you are probably going to be one more.