Advanced Math/Question

Question
Under 5 minutes for a mile is really great! I started doing some more serious running about a year ago (did lighter exercise before that), but I'm only at a 7 minute mile. Very impressive!

Thank you for taking my question. My ACT prep workbook has a problem I just can't crack. It is dealing with the Chain Rule:

Write an equation of the tangent line to the curve of y=(4x^(2)-2x)^3 at x=1

Answer
The point is found by putting in x.
That gives y = (4-2) = 2 = 8.

The slope is found by taking the derivative.
Since it is y = [f(x)] where f(x) = 4x - 2x,
the derivative is y ' = 3[f(x)]*f'(x) where f'(x) = 8x - 2.

To find f(1), we get 4*1 - 2*1 = 4 - 2 = 2.
To find f'(1), we get 8*1 - 2 = 6.
To find y' at x=1 we get y' = 3*4*6 = 288.
That can be done by noting y' = 3*6 * 4 = 18 * 16 = 288 or y ' = 3*4 * 4*6 = 12 * 24 = 288.

For additional comments, read on...

If you remember one of the 1st things in algebra, (a-b)(a+b) = a-b.

Now if you're into squares, since the average of 18 and 16 is 17, and the difference is 1,
it can be seen that y' = (17+1)(17-1) = 17-1 = 289 - 1 - 288,

Using 12 and 24, whose average is 18 and the difference for each of them is 6,
we get y' = (18-6)(18+6) = 18 - 6 = 324 - 36 = 288.

Now some might say that sounds a bit square ... and I'd have to agree!

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson