Advanced Math/Building construction without Staircase.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Prof Scott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building

Is it possible to construct a Building i.e. residential or commercial complex without Staircase ?. Is it feasible to built ?.

The people will always use Lifts / elevators instead of alternative of staircase.

i.e. The space occupied by the staircase will be replaced by additional Lifts / elevators.

What are the pros (advantages) and cons (disadvantages) if such a building model is constructed without staircase (if feasible) ?.

Examples : 10 floor commercial complex, 6 floor residential complex etc.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Yes, it is possible, but it is not done due to one reason, and that is power failure.

A really important one is in the case of fire in the building.

The power could also fail due to the weather, a car accident hitting power lines,
or something else, so it is necessary to have another form of exit.

This is why it is in the laws that any building with more than one floor is required to have a manual exit off each floor.  In some case, the building is next to a slope and has exits to the ground from differing floors.  For large buildings, they are required to have two exits.

An example of this was when the twin towers were hit in New York,
the stairways were used for the exit.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Scott

Thank you.

The Key to this Building model success i.e. Building construction without Staircases would be Elevators robust fire protection systems as well as should be in running condition even in emergency situations such as main power breaks for several days so that people should not get stuck up inside the elevator. I am confident that in the 21st century we will be able to have these modern elevators or they may be already available manufactured by Schindler, Otis etc cos.

If Modern elevators provide these capability, the staircases may not be required
in future building constructions.

It will be also interesting to have a Building Plan without staircases by the architects.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Yes, but have they made fire resistance wiring for the elevators, or is it too expensive.
All could be well and good in an elevator in a fire, but what about the power.

Now that I think about it, with modernization of everything, it might be possible to run an elevator just like Wi-Fi.  That is, make the elevator wireless as well.  There still might be some concerns about the motor in the elevator ... but maybe that could be made in the middle of a fireproof box ...

Perhaps the people will need to go a museum to see special things this world use to use ...
like cars that start with a metal key, lights that require a switch (you mean clapping didn't always work?), doors that use a standard key to open, appliances that require an electrical chord, plug ins, etc.  All I can say is that people in the future will look back at us just the same way we look back at history before they developed the engine or machines of mass production.

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson