Advanced Math/Average Whole Numbers and Percentages

QUESTION: Working on a project that we have to roll up percentages.  The question is one of the stats we are rolling up is a whole number.

Stat#1 = 68%
Stat#2 = 687 (whole number)
  Stat#2 is a roll up of
         455, 650, 658, 725, 735, 899

Stat#3 = 54%

How do we get the rolled up average of these 3 numbers?

ANSWER: It looks to me like the whole number 687 is supposed to represent 68.7%. If this is the case, then the average would just be

average = (68 + 68.7 + 54)/3

expressed as a percent.

QUESTION: How did you get 68.7% from 687?  So if I turn 687 into a percentage it will be 687%

We are trying to roll up percentages and whole number together into 1 percent.

ANSWER: It just looked to me that somebody had taken 5 percentages (the ones you list), which have 3 significant digits, converted then to whole numbers by multipying by 1000 (=10^3) after dropping the % sign, averaged them to get 687 and then forgot to change the number back. I guess the real question is where did you get 687? If 687 is supposed to represent a percentage (way larger than the others you list, and frankly, I can't believe it is the proper interpretation), then just tacking a percent sign on it would be consistent with the other numbers (i.e, for Stat #3, 58 percent is 58%).

I think you need to look more carefully at what your whole numbers are supposed to represent. I don't know where the numbers came from and they look inconsistent to me. Let me know what you come up with.

QUESTION: Ok, I see how you would of gotten there but that isn't what we are trying to do.

Basically we have 3 stats.  2 are percentage goals and 1 is a dollar amount goal.  We then want to roll them up to 1 overall outcome of those goals.  

So hierarchy is like this:

- Overall Roll Up
   - Stat#1
       - Stat#1 elements
   - Stat#2
       - Stat#2 elements
   - Stat#3
       - Stat#3 elements

So solve for (x)

x = Average(Stat#1(Average(Stat#1 elements)),Stat#2(Average(Stat#2 elements)),Stat#3(Average(Stat#3 elements)))

Stat#1 are all percentages.
Stat#2 are all whole numbers.
Stat#3 are all percentages

So what I get is 229.41%  

Is this the correct?

I honestly don't understand what you are trying to do in your problem. I take it that "rolling up" means finding the average. Averaging the percentage values (68 and 54) with the whole number(s) (687 or the 5 other ones) is mixing different types of quantities and as such does not make sense. A percentage is a ratio of numbers while a dollar amount isn't.

If I average 68, 687 and 54, I get

(68+687+54)/3 = 269.67

which is close to your "answer" but not the same.

The equation you list for x doesn't really require solving for x since it equates x to a (mysterious) quantity. Evaluating x would be a better term.

Stat#2 is the odd man out here. Does it represent a change from a previous amount? Such as $Y, in which case

$687/$Y = ratio (fraction) that could be turned into a percentage and then averaged (rolled up) ith the other percentages.

Advanced Math

randy patton

college mathematics, applied math, advanced calculus, complex analysis, linear and abstract algebra, probability theory, signal processing, undergraduate physics, physical oceanography

26 years as a professional scientist conducting academic quality research on mostly classified projects involving math/physics modeling and simulation, data analysis and signal processing, instrument development; often ocean related

J. Physical Oceanography, 1984 "A Numerical Model for Low-Frequency Equatorial Dynamics", with M. Cane

M.S. MIT Physical Oceanography, B.S. UC Berkeley Applied Math

Also an Expert in Oceanography