Advanced Math/Ratios

Question
Hello:

Ratios can be either part-to-part or part-to-whole.

Here are some examples:
Wheels on a bicycle to wheels on a tricycle is 2:3 part-to-part ratio
Here is another example: We planted 8 sunflowers and 10 hollyhocks. 8:10 ratio - part-to-part ratio

----------

It rained 6 out of the last 10 days. This is a ratio of 6:10 and is a part-to whole ratio.
One more example: 5 out of 10 students know Latin. This is a ratio of 5:10 and is a part-to-whole ratio.

My question is, then, what type of ratio is a model kit that has a ratio of 1:48? If I'm not mistaken, the ratio compares size to size, but I do not know whether or not it is a part-to-part ratio or part-to-whole ratio.  Do you know for sure?

I thank you for your reply.

Answer
Hi based on your examples and definition I would say that a model kit is part to whole and the reason why is in your examples for part to part you are taking a piece of something and comparing it to a similar piece of something else. In your problem you are comparing a model to a model and they are the same thing but of a different size.

Math Prof  

Advanced Math

Sombra Shadow