Advanced Math/Track Ballast - Alternative Materials.

Question
Dear Prof Scott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_ballast

Which could be the alternative materials which can be used / tried out instead of Ballast or crushing stones ?. viz Cement, plaster of Paris, sand, metal, non metals etc for railway tracks ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
I never thought about this before, but using gravel seems like it is the only way to go.

Gravel has that property of being strong enough under the railroad, not being subject to ever breaking, and not being very easy to move around.

If cement were used, it would crumble to quickly and quickly become too cracked to support the track.

If plaster of Paris were used, it would not be strong enough to support trains for very long.

If sand were used, it would quickly be blown away since it is so fine.  Just look at the way beaches change shape.

If metal were used, it would cost far too much to be used since they need a lot of it.

If non-metals were used, they would not be strong enough.

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson