Advanced Math/Mathmatical Question About Water & Salt

If I have 30 gallons of water and I need to add 1 ppm of salt to that water how do I determine how much salt that is? Thank you!

This is more of a chemistry question, but the answer is to add 0.0038 grams per US gallon. Note that 0.0038 grams is 1.3404106e-4 ounces. For 30 gallons, this is 0.0040212318 ounces.

Basically, you want to add enough salt so that the weight of the salt is one millionth the weight of the water. To do this, you need to use the density of water (1 gram per cubic centimeter) and multiply it by the volume of water you want to dissolve the salt in.

Advanced Math

randy patton

college mathematics, applied math, advanced calculus, complex analysis, linear and abstract algebra, probability theory, signal processing, undergraduate physics, physical oceanography

26 years as a professional scientist conducting academic quality research on mostly classified projects involving math/physics modeling and simulation, data analysis and signal processing, instrument development; often ocean related

J. Physical Oceanography, 1984 "A Numerical Model for Low-Frequency Equatorial Dynamics", with M. Cane

M.S. MIT Physical Oceanography, B.S. UC Berkeley Applied Math

Also an Expert in Oceanography