Advanced Math/Row reducing a matrix-linear equations solutions

Hi Randy,

Sorry for the long winded question

I know that when we are finding solutions for a linear equation there are usually three types of solution solutions. infinitely many solutions, one solution, and no solution. I am wondering if I were to use row reduction and matrices to solve linear equations how would I know when there is no solution or many solutions?
Would one row become 0,0,0]2 where the identity matrix can't be formed with row reduction and for example above there would be 0=2. Or is there a short cut where I could find the determinant of a 3x3 matrix which represent a x,y,z linear system and if the determinant = 0 there would be no solution. But my problem is can I find the determinant and use it to determine if a linear system is infinitely many solutions?

Many Many Thanks,

You need to specify whether the equations are homogeneous or not, that is

Ax = 0   homogenous

Ax = b  inhomogeneous.

For the homogenous case, the only way to have a non-zero solution (where x is a vector, x = (x1, x2, ..., xn), with at least one of its components non-zero), is if detA = 0. This can be seen by letting detA ≠ 0, in which case A has an inverse and x = [A^-1]0 = 0, so that x is all zeroes.

In a similar way, for the inhomogeneous case, we must have detA ≠ 0 for there to be a solution. The solution obtained is unique. On the other hand, if detA = 0, then the solution to the inhomogeneous equation is not unique.

Advanced Math

randy patton

college mathematics, applied math, advanced calculus, complex analysis, linear and abstract algebra, probability theory, signal processing, undergraduate physics, physical oceanography

26 years as a professional scientist conducting academic quality research on mostly classified projects involving math/physics modeling and simulation, data analysis and signal processing, instrument development; often ocean related

J. Physical Oceanography, 1984 "A Numerical Model for Low-Frequency Equatorial Dynamics", with M. Cane

M.S. MIT Physical Oceanography, B.S. UC Berkeley Applied Math

Also an Expert in Oceanography