Advanced Math/Distance

Question
The front wheels of a wagon are 11 feet in circumference and rear wheels are 13 feet. One spoke in each wheel is painted red. When the wagon starts on a trip, all of the red spokes are upright and above the axle.  When the wagon stops, all of the red spokes are upright again for the 533rd time.  Calculate distance(in miles)traveled by the wagon.

Thanks.

Answer
"The front wheels of a wagon are 11 feet in circumference and rear wheels are 13 feet."
11 and 13 are prime numbers, so their least common multiple is 1113 = 143.
The red spokes are realigned when the wagon has traveled 143 feet.

"When the wagon stops, all of the red spokes are upright again for the 533rd time."
533143 = 76,219
The wagon has traveled 76,219 feet.

1 mile = 5280 feet
76,219 ft 1 mile/(5280 ft) ≅ 14.44 miles

Advanced Math

Janet Yang