Advanced Math/7 Segment Led Display Multilingual Products.

Question
Dear Prof Scott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-segment_display
http://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/1883
http://www.engineersgarage.com/electronic-components/7-segment-display

Is it possible to display content in different languages viz german, french, japanese, french, spanish, dutch, chinese etc using 7 segment led display other than english content in
products ?.

Products Examples : Weighing machine, Treadmill Machine, Steppers, Electronic meters etc

Will there be limitations in having a 7 segment led display for producing these products having 7 segment led display other than english content ?.

For example : Enter weight in Kg - This is english content
display in treadmill displayed in 7 segment LED Display.

Now can we have Treadmill products sold in different countries where the native language is spoken, for example In Japan Japanese, In China - Chinese etc having the equivalent of Enter weight in Kg in other languages viz Japanese, German, French, Italian etc displayed in 7 segment LED Display.

i.e. 7 segment Led display should be able to display multilingual characters other than english content.

Can there be limitations to 7 segment led display in displaying
different languages characters ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
In many other languages, the way the numbers 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 are written is done in a much more complicated fashion.  This can be seen in http://www.omniglot.com/language/numerals.htm

From here, it can be seen that in many countries, numbers are very different and would require a different sort of style than the our LED display.  Ge'ez (Ethiopian), Kannada, Tamil, and Urdu, for example, look really different.  Even something known, like Roman, would be difficult to put on a screen.  That was one of my computer projects was writing a C-program to take an American number and output it in Roman numerals.  Special attention needs to be paid attention to numbers with a 4 or 9 in them, for when 1 is I, 2 is II, 3 is III, 5 is V, 12 is XII, 53 is LIII, 81 is LXXXI, numbers that have a 4 or 9 are different.  For example, 4 is IV, 40 is XL, and 400 is CD.  The digit 9 gets even more complicated.  A simple 9 is IX, 19 is XIX, 29 is XXIX, 49 is IL, 90 is XC, 95 is VC, 99 is IC, 990 is XM, but there are some that really get tricky.  For example, start counting 38, 39, and 40.  That would be XXXVIII, XXXIX, and LX.  As can be seen, 38 is far different than 39, but an even bigger jump is made form 39 to 40.

Just as in English, when we see, '1', we think 1.
To see what foreigners say, see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_numbers_in_various_languages

From this, it is not possible at all to display numbers in many countries.

However, numbers written in English can be found and
are understood by many throughout the world.  

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson