Advanced Math/Trigonometric identities

Sir, i'm so much curious to know the relations between trigonometric identities and how to prove them. For instance, prove that (1)1+tanx/1+cotx=tanx.
2) u=1+sinØ/cosØ show that
b)tanØ=u^2-1/2u. The truth is that, i don't know where to start! I don't how to apply trigonometric identities! Please sir help!

(1) It is known that tanx = 1/ctnx and tanx = sinx/cosx, which makes ctnx = cosx/sinx.

That makes the fraction (1+tanx)/(1+cotx) be (1 + sinx/cosx)/(1 + cosx/sinx).
If we multiply by (sinx*cosx)/(sinx*cosx), that is the same as multiplying each term by
sinx*cosx.  This gives (sinx*cosx + sin²x)/(sinx*cosx + cos²x).
That factors to sinx(cosx+sinx)/[cosx(sinx+cosx)].

Since cosx+sinx = sinx+cosx, those terms, the 1st in the numerator and
the 2nd in the denominator, cancel.

That leaves sinx/cosx.  As stated at the start, that is the same as tanx.

(2a) It is known that 1/u = cosØ/(1+sinØ).
Multiply this by (1-sinØ)/(1-sinØ) and get cosØ(1-sinØ)/(1-sin²Ø).

Since sin²Ø + cos²Ø = 1, it can be seen that by subtracting sin²Ø from both sides gives
cos²Ø = 1 - sin²Ø. Using this in the denominator shows cosØ(1-sinØ)/(1-sin²Ø)
is the same as cosØ(1-sinØ)/cos²Ø.  A cosØ/cosØ can be cancelled, leaving (1-sinØ)/cosØ.

(2b) If we have tanØ = (u2-1)/2u, split the fraction (u2-1)/2u into two terms.
That gives tanØ = u/2 - 1/(2u).

Since u = (1 + sinØ)/cosØ, that can be split apart to, giving u = 1/cosØ + sinØ/cosØ.
That is the same as u = secØ + tanØ.

Putting this into tanØ = u/2 - 1/(2u) gives tanØ = (secØ+tanØ)/2 - 1/[2(secØ+tanØ)].

Multiplying the 1st fraction by (secØ+tanØ)/(secØ+tanØ) and bringing down the other gives
(secØ+tanØ)2/[2(secØ+tanØ)] - 1/[2(secØ+tanØ)].

They have a common denominator, so combining them gives [(secØ+tanØ)² - 1]/[2(secØ+tanØ)].
Squaring the term in the top gives [sec²Ø + 2secØtanØ + tan²Ø - 1]/[2(secØ+tanØ)].

A note on the side is:
Remembering the identity that sin²Ø + cos²Ø = 1, divide both sides of sin²Ø + cos²Ø = 1
by cos²Ø. That gives sin²Ø/cos²Ø + 1 = 1/cos²Ø, which is the same as tan²Ø + 1 = sec²Ø.
Subtracting 1 from both sides gives tan²Ø = sec²Ø - 1.

Back to the problem at hand:
Noting that the 1st and last terms in the numerator are sec²Ø - 1, that is the same as tan²Ø.
Combining that with the other tan²Ø gives (2secØtanØ + 2tan²Ø)/[2(secØ+tanØ)].

Factoring 2tanØ out of each term on the top gives 2tanØ(secØ+tanØ)/[2(secØ+tan)].
Cancelling the 2/2 and the (secØ+tanØ)/(secØ+tanØ) gives tanØ,
and that's what we were looking for.  

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson

I can answer any question in general math, arithetic, discret math, algebra, box problems, geometry, filling a tank with water, trigonometry, pre-calculus, linear algebra, complex mathematics, probability, statistics, and most of anything else that relates to math. I can also say that I broke 5 minutes for a mile, which is over 12 mph, but is that relevant?

Experience in the area; I have tutored people in the above areas of mathematics for over two years in I have tutored people here and there in mathematics since before I received a BS degree back in 1984. In just two more years, I received an MS degree as well, but more on that later. I tutored at OSU in the math center for all six years I was there. Most students offering assistance were juniors, seniors, or graduate students. I was allowed to tutor as a freshman. I tutored at Mathnasium for well over a year. I worked at The Boeing Company for over 5 years. I received an MS degreee in Mathematics from Oregon State Univeristy. The classes I took were over 100 hours of upper division credits in mathematical courses such as calculus, statistics, probabilty, linear algrebra, powers, linear regression, matrices, and more. I graduated with honors in both my BS and MS degrees. Past/Present Clients: College Students at Oregon State University, various math people since college, over 7,500 people on the PC from the US and rest the world.

My master's paper was published in the OSU journal. The subject of it was Numerical Analysis used in shock waves and rarefaction fans. It dealt with discontinuities that arose over time. They were solved using the Leap Frog method. That method was used and improvements of it were shown. The improvements were by Enquist-Osher, Godunov, and Lax-Wendroff.

Master of Science at OSU with high honors in mathematics. Bachelor of Science at OSU with high honors in mathematical sciences. This degree involved mathematics, statistics, and computer science. I also took sophmore level physics and chemistry while I was attending college. On the side I took raquetball, but that's still not relevant.

I earned high honors in both my BS degree and MS degree from Oregon State. I was in near the top in most of my classes. In several classes in mathematics, I was first. In a class of over 100 students, I was always one of the first ones to complete the test. I graduated with well over 50 credits in upper division mathematics.

My clients have been students at OSU, people who live nearby, friends with math questions, and several people every day on the PC. I would guess that you are probably going to be one more.