Advanced Math/ATM Accepting Coins Currency ?.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Scott

Assuming that $50, $100 are manufactured as coins then can ATM Machine accept (input) and output to the Customer who wants to withdraw money in the forms of coins ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Yes, I am sure that the machines can do whatever is programmed, but it would take an invest-ment to make them operate with coins as well.  As far as I know, the machines currently op-
erate only in bills.  When they first started, they only used 20's, but perhaps more have been added.

Now I'm sure it could be done, but to produce an ATM machine like this would require more in-vestment than is currently put into them.  As noted here, making them use any bill smaller than twenties at the moment is too expensive so it is not done.

See, almost anything can be produced.  The true question is this: Is it worth it?

I mean, a machine could be made to go around a school yard and pickup jump ropes,
but the cost would be greater than the benefit.

For another, a machine could be made to paint the streets by itself with only one person watch-ing it, but again, the cost would be to high.

As one more example of what would cost too much, how about a robot to clean out the dishwasher?
It most likely could be done, but it would be far to expensive.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Scott

Thank you.

Here the challenging aspect would be segregation of coins value kept in the ATM Machine ?. i.e. Rs 1, Rs 10, Rs 50, Rs 100, Rs 500, Rs 1000, RS 5000 etc in coins similar to paper notes currency.

There could be two drawers within ATM machine one each for paper currency notes and one for coins ?.

If a customer wants to withdraw money from ATM Machine, Then there could be output of notes and coins both, only notes, only coins.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

At some banks, I have seen machines for dividing coins into the appropriate slots.
This could be done in the same way for coins that were for dollars.

On the old recognition system, they would just have to make each coin have a different size.
The best way would be to make them bigger depending on the value.

With the computers, however, each coin could be made the same size with some distinctive code for the value of them.  They should also be of differing colors.  The colors of the flag In the United States (and also England) are red, white, and blue.  This might mean Rs 1 would be red, Rs 10 would be white, Rs 50 would be blue, Rs 100 Would be white with a red center, Rs 500 would be blue with a red center, Rs 500 would be white with a blue center, Rs 1000 would be red with a white center, and Rs 500 would be red white and blue.

As far as the computers go, they could all be made to be the same size, but they could each have some marking put in them to distinguish them from each other.  With the computers we have today, this could be done by perhaps a differing thickness, how rough the edge was, how oval they were made, or any other way that can be thought of.  Perhaps the higher the value of the coin, the more oval the coin would be.  I'm sure the people making them would be able to think of something.

Then again, with the computers today, they could be designed just to recognize the color difference of the coins.  

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson

I can answer any question in general math, arithetic, discret math, algebra, box problems, geometry, filling a tank with water, trigonometry, pre-calculus, linear algebra, complex mathematics, probability, statistics, and most of anything else that relates to math. I can also say that I broke 5 minutes for a mile, which is over 12 mph, but is that relevant?

Experience in the area; I have tutored people in the above areas of mathematics for over two years in I have tutored people here and there in mathematics since before I received a BS degree back in 1984. In just two more years, I received an MS degree as well, but more on that later. I tutored at OSU in the math center for all six years I was there. Most students offering assistance were juniors, seniors, or graduate students. I was allowed to tutor as a freshman. I tutored at Mathnasium for well over a year. I worked at The Boeing Company for over 5 years. I received an MS degreee in Mathematics from Oregon State Univeristy. The classes I took were over 100 hours of upper division credits in mathematical courses such as calculus, statistics, probabilty, linear algrebra, powers, linear regression, matrices, and more. I graduated with honors in both my BS and MS degrees. Past/Present Clients: College Students at Oregon State University, various math people since college, over 7,500 people on the PC from the US and rest the world.

My master's paper was published in the OSU journal. The subject of it was Numerical Analysis used in shock waves and rarefaction fans. It dealt with discontinuities that arose over time. They were solved using the Leap Frog method. That method was used and improvements of it were shown. The improvements were by Enquist-Osher, Godunov, and Lax-Wendroff.

Master of Science at OSU with high honors in mathematics. Bachelor of Science at OSU with high honors in mathematical sciences. This degree involved mathematics, statistics, and computer science. I also took sophmore level physics and chemistry while I was attending college. On the side I took raquetball, but that's still not relevant.

I earned high honors in both my BS degree and MS degree from Oregon State. I was in near the top in most of my classes. In several classes in mathematics, I was first. In a class of over 100 students, I was always one of the first ones to complete the test. I graduated with well over 50 credits in upper division mathematics.

My clients have been students at OSU, people who live nearby, friends with math questions, and several people every day on the PC. I would guess that you are probably going to be one more.