Advanced Math/binomial problems:advanced

I've been trying to figure out how they got a (15) from (6/2).
Q: suppose that 55% of all babies born in a particular hospital are girls. If 6  babies born in the hospital are randomly selected, what is the probability that fewer than 3 of them are girls?

A:step 1 : (6/0)(0.55)^0(1-0.55)^6+(6/1)(0.55)^1(1-0.55)^5=(6/2)(0.55)^2(1-0.55)^4
(step 2: 1)(0.55)^0(1-0.55)^6+ (6)(0.55)^1(1-0.55)^5+(15)(0.55)^2(1-0.55)^4
I don't get this at all

The solution looks OK to me. Lets make sure we agree on the notation and conventions to answer your question about "(15) from (6/2)".

For the binomial distribution, the notation for choosing the number of combinations of m objects out of n is written

C(n,m) = ( n )
         ( m )

where the parentheses represent one big parenthesis bracketing the letter m placed directly below the letter n (not divided by!). I believe this is what you intended with your expression (6/2), which, given the shortcomings of the text editor we are using, is reasonable.

C(n,m) stands for the expression

C(n,m) = n! / { m!・(n-m)! }

where ! is the factorial notation meaning n! = n・(n-1)・(n-2)...(2)・(1). For your case

C(6,2) = ( 6・5・4・3・2・1) / { 4・3・2・1 )・( 2・1 ) } = ( 6・5 ) / 2 = 30/2 = 15.

The solution thus consists of adding up the probabilities of getting 0, 1 and 2 girls out of 6 using the binomial distribution formula.

Hope this helps.

Advanced Math

randy patton

college mathematics, applied math, advanced calculus, complex analysis, linear and abstract algebra, probability theory, signal processing, undergraduate physics, physical oceanography

26 years as a professional scientist conducting academic quality research on mostly classified projects involving math/physics modeling and simulation, data analysis and signal processing, instrument development; often ocean related

J. Physical Oceanography, 1984 "A Numerical Model for Low-Frequency Equatorial Dynamics", with M. Cane

M.S. MIT Physical Oceanography, B.S. UC Berkeley Applied Math

Also an Expert in Oceanography