Advanced Math/Improper integral

QUESTION: I am a meteorologist brushing up on some complex analysis and am stuck on this problem. The book gives the answer as Pi/200, but I can't see my error. I am trying to do this with residues. Thanks!

P.S. Excuse my horrible writing!

improper integral
improper integral  
ANSWER: Thanks for the question. However, your writing is a little too unclear. Attached is an image with what I think is the integral you're working on.

I'm a little unsure why you need to use residues since the integral appears to be along the real axis while the poles are along the imaginary. Please clarify.

QUESTION: That's it. The problem was to solve it by residues.

Got it. Using residues will work since the denominator has x raised to a power ≥ 2 than the numerator (so that the contour extending out to ∞ -> 0). Fair enough.

Your notes indicate that you correctly found the residue at the simple (i.e., order 1) pole at z1 = 3i (let me use z to represent the complex variable), namely by calculating the ratio of the numerator of the function (z^2) divided by the derivative of the denominator. Looks like you got z1 = i3/50.

The residue at z2 = 2i is more complicated to calculate since it is order 2. There are a lot of missing steps in your notes so I'm not sure is you are using the right method (that is to say, it isn't just a matter of checking algebra). Since it is not a simple pole, the technique you used for z1 won't work. Please let me know how you are approaching the calculation for this 2nd pole. Its a textbook exercise but the steps may be a little tricky. I'd be happy to look them over for you.

Good luck!

Advanced Math

randy patton

college mathematics, applied math, advanced calculus, complex analysis, linear and abstract algebra, probability theory, signal processing, undergraduate physics, physical oceanography

26 years as a professional scientist conducting academic quality research on mostly classified projects involving math/physics modeling and simulation, data analysis and signal processing, instrument development; often ocean related

J. Physical Oceanography, 1984 "A Numerical Model for Low-Frequency Equatorial Dynamics", with M. Cane

M.S. MIT Physical Oceanography, B.S. UC Berkeley Applied Math

Also an Expert in Oceanography