Advanced Math/Fractional Equation - Partial Solution / Explanation

Two numbers, whose total is 73, is that the quotient obtained by dividing the larger by the smaller is 3 and the remaining is 13.

Let x = larger number

Let 73 - x = smaller number

x/73 - x = 3 + 13/73 - x

I don't understand the solution.  Thanks.

"Two numbers whose total is 73"
Let x and (73-x) represent the two numbers.

"dividing the larger number by the smaller gives a quotient of 3 and a remainder of 13"
Suppose x > 73-x, then x is the dividend and 73-x is the divisor.

dividend = (quotient·divisor)+remainder
x = 3·(73-x) + 13
x = 219-3x + 13
4x = 232
x = 58
73-x = 15

The numbers are 58 and 15.

Advanced Math

Janet Yang

I can answer questions in Algebra, Basic Math, Calculus, Differential Equations, Geometry, Number Theory, and Word Problems. I would not feel comfortable answering questions in Probability and Statistics or Topology because I have not studied these in depth.

I tutor students (fifth through twelfth grades) and am a Top Contributor on Yahoo!Answers with over 24,000 math solutions.

Co-author of An Outline of Scientific Writing: For Researchers With English as a Foreign Language

I have a Bachelor's degree in Applied Mathematics from the University of California at Berkeley.

George White Elementary School. Homework Help program at the Ridgewood Public Library, Ridgewood, NJ. Individual students.