Advanced Math/Number Needed

A fence is to be constructed around a rectangular field. The boards are 12 feet long and fence is 4 boards in height.

Dimensions of field-  660 feet wide and contains 20 acres.

Calculate number of boards needed.  

Let B = number of boards.

Each section contains 48 feet of boards.

20 acres = 871,200 square feet.

How do I proceed from here?  Thanks.

Each panel of the fence is 12 feet long.

Determine the dimensions of the field.
area = 871,200 ft²
Since the width of the field is 660 ft, its length is 871,200/660 = 1,320 ft.
Note that both dimensions (660 ft and 1,320 ft) are divisible by 12, so each side of the fence uses a whole number of panels. Convenient.

perimeter = 2(660) + 2(1,320) = 3,960 ft
3,960 ft × 1 panel/(12 ft) = 330 panels

Each panel is 4 boards high.
330 panels × 4 boards/panel = 1,320 boards

Advanced Math

Janet Yang

I can answer questions in Algebra, Basic Math, Calculus, Differential Equations, Geometry, Number Theory, and Word Problems. I would not feel comfortable answering questions in Probability and Statistics or Topology because I have not studied these in depth.

I tutor students (fifth through twelfth grades) and am a Top Contributor on Yahoo!Answers with over 24,000 math solutions.

Co-author of An Outline of Scientific Writing: For Researchers With English as a Foreign Language

I have a Bachelor's degree in Applied Mathematics from the University of California at Berkeley.

George White Elementary School. Homework Help program at the Ridgewood Public Library, Ridgewood, NJ. Individual students.