Advanced Math/Postage stamps shapes.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Prof Scott

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamp
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postage_stamp

Other than Rectangle, Square, Diamond, Kite shapes can we construct postage stamps with other possible shapes viz Circular, Oval, Trapezoid, Pyramid, Triangle etc ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: The rectangular is the easiest to construct.  Other shapes would cost more due to the waste involved in material that couldn't be used.

See, if we take a piece of paper, and cut horizontal and circular lines that are equally spaced apart, smaller rectangles are easily generated.  We could also generate trapezoids are triangles with a small amount of waster, but there would still be some.  Other shapes would generate even more waste material.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Scott

Thanks.

Can we construct cone,cylinder, rhombus,parabola, ellipse,hyperbola shaped postage stamps?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Well, they need to be two dimensional in order to stick to a surface.

They could be formed as just part of the outside of a cylinder,
but when torn off they'd be close enough to flat to work.

Again, they need to be formed into a flat shape since that is two dimensional and easily sticks to a letter.  Even if letters were made to have some three dimensional aspect to them,
that would make it a lot more difficult to send them through in such massive amounts.
They are two dimensional so it is easy to put them in stacks of 100's or 1000's.
Adding another dimension would make storage be a whole lot more.

Now if we were advanced enough to make stamps allow letters to fly to a destination, perhaps they could be formed in the shape of an airplane ...

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson