Advanced Math/Tricycle v/s Bicycle

Dear Prof Scott

As compared to Bicycle, more strength will be required for tricycle to drive in the Mountains?.

Hey, that's a key subject of mine, since I ride my 15 speed (or at least I rode it up into my
40's, but haven't ridden it since I turned 50).  Because I used to ride it a lot (at least 5 miles a day in my 20's), I know a lot about them.  It all comes down to instantaneous work and overall work.

Just like the champion weightlifters, we can all lift over 200 kilos.  The only difference is that the really good weightlifters can do it in one time, whereas you and I would require multiple times.  What I mean is we may lift 20 kilos 10 times, and that would be that same, but it won't get you on a weightlifting show.  Now about lifting that much weight, do a search on "lifting 200 kilos."  One of them is at,
Another is
Another interesting one is

Yes, there will be more strength required of the rider to instantaneously run a tricycle in the mountains if it can be done at all.  There will be less strength required for the overall time it is done, but mustering the instantaneous strength to do it at all can easily be impossible.  The main difference between them is in the bikes for older people have what are called gears.

A multi-gear bicycle is easier to do because it can be shifted down to a lower gear.  Shifting down will require more overall work, but it makes the instantaneous work required much smaller.

It can be thought of to be just like a car.  Sometimes when climbing hills, the motor needs to be shifted down to low to make the mountain climbable.  Looking at the overall affect, however, it requires more gas to do this work in the long run.  The reason this is done is shifting down allows the driving to be done without overheating the engine.

It is also similar to a pulley.  When looking at the entire process, there is more work required in using a pulley from the start to the end.  The reason they are used, however, is that the work required instantaneously is reduced and can easily be done.

Another thought is this is like carrying in groceries from the car to the house.  To do it in high gear would be like doing it all at once.  To shift down is like carrying multiple trips.  Reducing it to carrying one bag at a time makes the job really easy to do in each instant, but in the long run, it requires more energy to be spent overall.

Lets get back to the tricycle in the mountains.  On some of the hills I've biked up, I myself wouldn't have been able to ride a tricycle up them because it required to much instantaneous work.  Using my bike (a 10 speed), in college it was my object to go up the steep hill in town by seeing how high of a gear I could keep it in.  At first I used 1st gear, but on the way up, I shifted into 2nd and then into 3rd.  Over the next few years I was there, eventually I got to the point of keeping my front gear in the high range (on a ten speed, which is 6th-10th instead of 1st-5th) and believe I might have actually ridden up that hill in 8th gear, maybe more, but that was over 30 years ago.  The farthest I've ever ridden is 50 miles (with minor hills).

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson

I can answer any question in general math, arithetic, discret math, algebra, box problems, geometry, filling a tank with water, trigonometry, pre-calculus, linear algebra, complex mathematics, probability, statistics, and most of anything else that relates to math. I can also say that I broke 5 minutes for a mile, which is over 12 mph, but is that relevant?

Experience in the area; I have tutored people in the above areas of mathematics for over two years in I have tutored people here and there in mathematics since before I received a BS degree back in 1984. In just two more years, I received an MS degree as well, but more on that later. I tutored at OSU in the math center for all six years I was there. Most students offering assistance were juniors, seniors, or graduate students. I was allowed to tutor as a freshman. I tutored at Mathnasium for well over a year. I worked at The Boeing Company for over 5 years. I received an MS degreee in Mathematics from Oregon State Univeristy. The classes I took were over 100 hours of upper division credits in mathematical courses such as calculus, statistics, probabilty, linear algrebra, powers, linear regression, matrices, and more. I graduated with honors in both my BS and MS degrees. Past/Present Clients: College Students at Oregon State University, various math people since college, over 7,500 people on the PC from the US and rest the world.

My master's paper was published in the OSU journal. The subject of it was Numerical Analysis used in shock waves and rarefaction fans. It dealt with discontinuities that arose over time. They were solved using the Leap Frog method. That method was used and improvements of it were shown. The improvements were by Enquist-Osher, Godunov, and Lax-Wendroff.

Master of Science at OSU with high honors in mathematics. Bachelor of Science at OSU with high honors in mathematical sciences. This degree involved mathematics, statistics, and computer science. I also took sophmore level physics and chemistry while I was attending college. On the side I took raquetball, but that's still not relevant.

I earned high honors in both my BS degree and MS degree from Oregon State. I was in near the top in most of my classes. In several classes in mathematics, I was first. In a class of over 100 students, I was always one of the first ones to complete the test. I graduated with well over 50 credits in upper division mathematics.

My clients have been students at OSU, people who live nearby, friends with math questions, and several people every day on the PC. I would guess that you are probably going to be one more.