Advanced Math/Integral

Hi Scott, I am learning complex analysis on my own and am working through a section on complex integration. I have a good grasp on the section, but I have a question about a type of problem that wasn't in the problem set. They have integrals such as the integral of x/(x^3+1) dx from 0 to infinity. The examples in the book describe a method for using the substitution x=e^t. I understand the method, but the book doesn't have anything about poles with order > 1. For instance the integral of x/(x^3+1)^2 dx from 0 to infinity. How would I handle something like this?

Randy here. Choosing the contour for this integral is a bit tricky although dealing with the fact that the pole is 2nd order isn't necessarily hard (i'll get to that in a minute). Using the substitution x = e^t may work, but it moves the poles around and makes things complicated; I haven't pursued it.

One trick I came across is to draw the contour in 3 pieces:

1) from 0 -> infinity along the x-axis, just like the limits of the integral; call the integral for this segment I1
2) I2 = integral along the usual arc (that will extend out to infinity) from +x counter clockwise to the line given by...
3) xe^(2𝛑/3) as x goes from infinity to 0.

This last piece, which is a line heading off at an angle of 120 degrees, serves 2 purposes:
a) its closes the contour so it contains only the one pole at i𝛑/3 (so there is only one residue to evaluate)
b) the integral along it can be written as a constant times the integral of interest (i.e., along the positive x axis),

segment 3) integrand = { [xe^(i2𝛑/3)][e^(i2𝛑/3)dx] ]/[(xe^i2𝛑/3)^3+1]^2 = -e^(i4𝛑/3)I1

where we have used [e^(i2𝛑/3)]^3 = 1 in the denominator and the minus sign takes into account the opposing integration directions.

So, the contour integral is 2𝛑iRes(z=e^(i𝛑/3)) = I1 - e^(i4𝛑/3)I1 + I2.

Now, since the denominator is of a sufficiently high power of x compared to the numerator, I2 -> 0 as the radius of the arc -> infinity.

So we "just" need to find Res(z). The usual textbook approach should work here where the first derivative of (z-e^(i𝛑/3)^2・integrand is evaluated at z=e^(i𝛑/3).

To accomplish this, the denominator is expanded in terms of its roots, (z^3+1)^2 = (z-e^i𝛑/3)^2・(z-e^(i𝛑))^2・(z-e^(i5𝛑/3)・^2; the (z-e^(i・/3)^2 term cancels out but now you still need to calculate the derivative (including an x in the numerator).

Good luck!

Advanced Math

randy patton

college mathematics, applied math, advanced calculus, complex analysis, linear and abstract algebra, probability theory, signal processing, undergraduate physics, physical oceanography

26 years as a professional scientist conducting academic quality research on mostly classified projects involving math/physics modeling and simulation, data analysis and signal processing, instrument development; often ocean related

J. Physical Oceanography, 1984 "A Numerical Model for Low-Frequency Equatorial Dynamics", with M. Cane

M.S. MIT Physical Oceanography, B.S. UC Berkeley Applied Math

Also an Expert in Oceanography