Advanced Math/Solving a PDE using Fourier Transform

PDE Question
PDE Question  
This was one of the last questions in my math tutorial so unfortunately I didn't get around to attempting it and our class doesn't post the tutorial answers online so I'm hoping you can help show me the working through this problem as I just keep hitting walls, your time is appreciated:

This is a tough one and I'm afraid I don't have a good answer. As I'm sure you're aware, this PDE is similar to the heat conduction equation but with an extra term,

which stymies me in being able to use a Fourier transform (or any orthogonal family of functions) to match the initial condition. For the record, separation of variables gives

u(x,t) = θ(t)χ(x)

θ'/θ = (-∂χ/∂x)/χ + (∂^2χ/∂x^2)/χ = k = separation constant

θ(t) = Cexp(-kt)

χ(x) = Aexp(-x/2)・exp(iβx)

where β = β(k) = real exponent .

The IC means χ(x) = f(x), -∞ < x < ∞, which would be OK if we could find an orthogonal family of functions upon which to project f(x). If we didn't have the exp(-x/2) term, then a Fourier Transform would work (sines and cosines). The ODE for χ(x) itself is not in the form of a Sturm-Liouville equation, which would provide some hope.

I'm very curious where this problem came from and what method is used to solve it.  

Advanced Math

randy patton

college mathematics, applied math, advanced calculus, complex analysis, linear and abstract algebra, probability theory, signal processing, undergraduate physics, physical oceanography

26 years as a professional scientist conducting academic quality research on mostly classified projects involving math/physics modeling and simulation, data analysis and signal processing, instrument development; often ocean related

J. Physical Oceanography, 1984 "A Numerical Model for Low-Frequency Equatorial Dynamics", with M. Cane

M.S. MIT Physical Oceanography, B.S. UC Berkeley Applied Math

Also an Expert in Oceanography