Advanced Math/Differential Equations

Question
what can you say about the existance and uniqness of solution for the below initial value problem without solving it,

first derivative of y(x)=Absolute value of y(x) and y(0)=0.

Answer
I didn't know the answer, so I forwarded your question to a math group and got these responses:

1:
The unique solution is y = 0.
I can't do this problem without solving it: it's plain that the unique solution family is y = Ce^x where C >= 0. But y(0) = 0 forces C = 0.

2:
If f(x, y) and ∂f/∂y are both continuous in a neighbourhood of (x₀, y₀), then dy/dx = f(x, y), y(x₀) = y₀ has a unique solution in a neighbohood of (x₀, y₀). This is the fundamental existence theorem for differential equations. Now f(x, y) = |y| is continuous in some open inteval about 0, but ∂f/∂y isn't. So we cannot conclude from the existence theorem that a solution exists, much less that there is a unique solution. The trouble here, however, is that the existence theorem is not "if and only if". It has an "if" part but no "only if". Intuitively I don't think your equation has a solution in any open interval about 0.

Advanced Math

Janet Yang