Advanced Math/Smartphone Wireless Doorbell Application.

Question
Dear Prof Scott

Can we build a Smartphone Doorbell app which will trigger Doorbell rings?.

The smartphone circuit hardware have to be modified to make it work?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
With the way things are progressing, we can program any device to do anything for us.  If the people building the smartphones heard that a special beep was wanted for each door in the house, I'm sure they could put it in.

I'm not sure the hardware on a phone would need to be modified if we could program doors to receive calls to unlock them.  All they would need to do would be to design a lock to open when a certain code-word was received from a phone call.  This would probably be added to special commands from the phone requiring a special key to be pressed first.

Before too long, I'm sure that they will start building robots to do many tasks for us, like keeping track of the weather (what type now, future predictions), locking doors (front, back, garage), knowing what food is present (type, age, how long it can stay, how much), answering phone (right now or sending a message they'll get a call back), adjusting TV (turning on/off, adjusting channel, adjusting volume), playing music (bought, radio, getting price), adjust warmth in the house (heat, A/C), calling people (friends, family, coworkers), opening the garage, starting the car, cleaning the dishes, putting food away (fridge, garbage, cupboard), waking people (as an alarm, with a voice,or perhaps music).  The possibilities are endless.  

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson