Advanced Math/Original Amount - Capital follow-up

QUESTION: The initial amount of capital.  Sorry for the omission.  Thanks again.

ANSWER: I don't understand the question.
He starts with C in his account, then adds C/3 over the next three years. At the end of three years the account has
 C + 3(C/3) - 15,000 = 2C - 15,000
It is not possible for the capital to double in three years, unless he makes no withdrawals.

QUESTION: If the capital was the current amount instead of initial, could the problem be solved then?  Thanks.

ANSWER: Yes, that would work.
Each year he increases the capital account by ⅓ of its current balance.

At the end of the third year, the balance is twice the starting capital:
Starting capital = %55,500.
Balance, end of year 3: %111,000.00

QUESTION: I don't understand the following:

How the 4/3 is obtained.  3rd step.  2nd and third step.   Thanks again.

If you increase x by ⅓ of x, the result is x + ⅓x = (4/3)x.
Deriving the equation for capital at the end of year n:
Expanded calculation of capital at the end of year 3:

Advanced Math

Janet Yang

I can answer questions in Algebra, Basic Math, Calculus, Differential Equations, Geometry, Number Theory, and Word Problems. I would not feel comfortable answering questions in Probability and Statistics or Topology because I have not studied these in depth.

I tutor students (fifth through twelfth grades) and am a Top Contributor on Yahoo!Answers with over 24,000 math solutions.

Co-author of An Outline of Scientific Writing: For Researchers With English as a Foreign Language

I have a Bachelor's degree in Applied Mathematics from the University of California at Berkeley.

George White Elementary School. Homework Help program at the Ridgewood Public Library, Ridgewood, NJ. Individual students.