Advanced Math/Diectly and Indirectly Proportioal

Question
QUESTION: Hello:

Can you explain the following and use some examples?

y is inversely proportional to x in y = K * x.

y is directly proportional to 1/x in y = K/x.

I thank you for your reply.

ANSWER: y is directly proportional to x in
y = K * x. This means you will divide by x to get your constant by itself

*because y = k(x) and y = k(1/x), the former being directly proportional to and the last being inversely ptoportional.

I didn't catch it the first time around but you have 'directly proportional' and 'indirecty proportional' reversed.

QUESTION: Hello:

I want to thank you for your clarification.  However, I am still somewhat confused.

Instead of using y, K and x, I'll use numbers.  12 = 6 X 2

If 12 represents y and 6 represents K, then 2 must represent x. How is 12 directly proportion to 2?  And if 12 = 6 X 1/2 is represented by y = K(1/x),
how is 6 indirectly proportional to 2?

I hope that I have directly and indirectly used correctly in this question.

I thank you for your reply.

Answer
Well first off 12/= 6*1/2. (/= = not equal) 6 x 1/2 = 3.
These terms directly proportional and indirectly proportional are mathematical jargon. For y to  be directly proportional to x you must have y = kx and for y to be indirectly proportional to x you must have y = k/x. So it really depends on your variable's position.

Advanced Math

Sombra Shadow