Advanced Math/maths

If we have a cake that weight 3 kilos we can cut that into three slices (1 kilo each). If we take one cake that weight 1 kilo and we divide that we will get into some problems cause the slices will be 0.3333... each.
In thefirst example we had something that we divide into three pieces. We also did that in the second example. If it works with the first one it should also work with the second one but it doesn't. Why is this?

Note that the choice of units is arbitrary.

Suppose you put your 1 kilogram cake on a balance and find that it weighs the same as 729 beads.
You can divide the cake into three slices, each weighing 243 beads.
It's the same cake, now easily divided into thirds. The only thing that changed is the units used.  

Advanced Math

Janet Yang

I can answer questions in Algebra, Basic Math, Calculus, Differential Equations, Geometry, Number Theory, and Word Problems. I would not feel comfortable answering questions in Probability and Statistics or Topology because I have not studied these in depth.

I tutor students (fifth through twelfth grades) and am a Top Contributor on Yahoo!Answers with over 24,000 math solutions.

Co-author of An Outline of Scientific Writing: For Researchers With English as a Foreign Language

I have a Bachelor's degree in Applied Mathematics from the University of California at Berkeley.

George White Elementary School. Homework Help program at the Ridgewood Public Library, Ridgewood, NJ. Individual students.