Advanced Math/learning to read a ruler

Question
Hi, what's is the easiest way to read a ruler?
thanks

Answer
Between inches, know each mark is half of the interval it is in.
That is, between two digits, the big mark in the middle is 1/2 inch from the mark below.

The next smaller mark between the inch mark and the 1/2 inch mark is the 1/4 mark.
If it is between the inch mark and the 1/2 inch mark, it is 1/4 more than the inch.
If it is between the 1/2 mark and the next inch mark, it is 1/2 + 1/4 = 2/4 + 1/4 = 3/4.

The next smaller mark is the 1/8 of an inch.  What ever two bigger marks it is between,
it adds an 1/8 of an inch to the one that is less.

Some rulers have the next smaller mark, which is 1/16 of an inch above the next bigger mark below.  I'm not sure if they exist, but if there was a ruler that had an even smaller mark,
it would be 1/32 of an inch above the mark right below.

This is done because in the USA, rulers are marked up so each smaller mark is
1/2 of the next larger mark.  See, 1/4 is 1/2 of 1/2, 1/8 is 1/2 of 1/14,
1/16 is 1/2 of 1/8, 1/32 is 1/2 of 1/16.

The only way to get really good at reading them is to keep doing it.
After doing it for quite a while, I recognize every 1/8 of an inch as 0.125 inches.

So 1/8, 2/8, 3/8, 4/8, 5/8, 6/8, 7/8, 8/8 is really
0.125, 0.250, 0.375, 0.500, 0.625, 0.750, 0.975, and 1.000.

These can be rewritten as 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 1 and
0.125, 0.25, 0.375, 0.5, 0.625, 0.75, 0.875, and 1.

In metric, everything is 1/10 of the next bigger size.  A decimeter is 1/10 of a meter, a centimeter is 1/10 of a decimeter, a millimeter is 1/10 of a centimeter.  That seems to make more sense especially since the same thing applies to weight.

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson