Advanced Math/Motorman Train Driving Licence.

Dear Prof Scott

1 Is there a train driving licence?.
2 Is it to be renewed after a certain period?.
3 Separate class mentioned for Mail Express and local trains driving in the licence?.

Sorry about the delay in time, but my computer was out for a bit and I didn't get on the network until today.

As seen in (in next paragraph), this has been added recently to reduce the number of accidents.  It use to be that anyone could drive a train that wanted to and felt they were able, but before this rule was adopted, it was thought that putting in a test to get certified would reduce the number of accidents.  As can be seen since that point in time, it has truly reduced the number of accident.

"FRA’s rule for certification of conductors, as required by the Rail Safety Improvement Act of 2008, was issued to ensure that only those persons who meet minimum Federal safety standards serve as conductors, to reduce the rate and number of accidents and incidents, and to improve railroad safety.  The rule requires railroads to have a formal program for certifying conductors. As part of that program, railroads are required to have a formal process for training prospective conductors and determining that all persons are competent before permitting them to serve as a conductor. The rule prescribes minimum Federal safety standards for the eligibility, training, testing, certification and monitoring of all conductors to whom it applies.  The rule does not restrict a railroad from adopting and enforcing additional or more stringent requirements consistent with the rule.  The conductor certification requirements prescribed in the rule apply to any person who meets the definition of conductor contained in the rule, regardless of the fact that the person may have a job classification title other than that of conductor."

As can be seen, the railroads can put in other requirements that they think are appropriate.

As to how often they need to be renewed, I think of them just like having a driver's license.  Once you know how to do it, they don't worry about whether or not you might forget it.  After you have been driving awhile, the rules are reinforced and become obvious.

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson

I can answer any question in general math, arithetic, discret math, algebra, box problems, geometry, filling a tank with water, trigonometry, pre-calculus, linear algebra, complex mathematics, probability, statistics, and most of anything else that relates to math. I can also say that I broke 5 minutes for a mile, which is over 12 mph, but is that relevant?

Experience in the area; I have tutored people in the above areas of mathematics for over two years in I have tutored people here and there in mathematics since before I received a BS degree back in 1984. In just two more years, I received an MS degree as well, but more on that later. I tutored at OSU in the math center for all six years I was there. Most students offering assistance were juniors, seniors, or graduate students. I was allowed to tutor as a freshman. I tutored at Mathnasium for well over a year. I worked at The Boeing Company for over 5 years. I received an MS degreee in Mathematics from Oregon State Univeristy. The classes I took were over 100 hours of upper division credits in mathematical courses such as calculus, statistics, probabilty, linear algrebra, powers, linear regression, matrices, and more. I graduated with honors in both my BS and MS degrees. Past/Present Clients: College Students at Oregon State University, various math people since college, over 7,500 people on the PC from the US and rest the world.

My master's paper was published in the OSU journal. The subject of it was Numerical Analysis used in shock waves and rarefaction fans. It dealt with discontinuities that arose over time. They were solved using the Leap Frog method. That method was used and improvements of it were shown. The improvements were by Enquist-Osher, Godunov, and Lax-Wendroff.

Master of Science at OSU with high honors in mathematics. Bachelor of Science at OSU with high honors in mathematical sciences. This degree involved mathematics, statistics, and computer science. I also took sophmore level physics and chemistry while I was attending college. On the side I took raquetball, but that's still not relevant.

I earned high honors in both my BS degree and MS degree from Oregon State. I was in near the top in most of my classes. In several classes in mathematics, I was first. In a class of over 100 students, I was always one of the first ones to complete the test. I graduated with well over 50 credits in upper division mathematics.

My clients have been students at OSU, people who live nearby, friends with math questions, and several people every day on the PC. I would guess that you are probably going to be one more.