Advanced Math/Ferris/Giant Wheel Electronic toy design.

Question
Dear Prof Scott

Is it possible to design a Ferris wheel electronic toy operated by a remote control and having push buttons to control the start, stop, increase, decrease the Ferris wheel speed?

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
To view a few, just type, "Ferris Wheel," in the search box.  I not only answered this question, but answered so much more.  I'm very interested in them.  Perhaps that is because I constructed one out of toothpicks and glue in high school that was over half a meter across.  The seats were made out of popsicle sticks that were each cut to one fourth of their length.

I'm sure it is.  It has to involved a noticeable amount of energy since the Ferris Wheel is so large.  The bigger the Ferris wheel is, the more power it required to turn it.  Some of them are fairly large.  It seems like compared to the power it takes to move them around, the power to make all the lights on them is insignificant.

The one in London, England was the largest in 2006.  I would guess there are at least 40 seats on it.  From what I remember of the one I see at the fair every year, most of them have around a dozen seats.

There are a few that are built out of Legos, some built out of small electronic kits, some built out of cakes, some are designed to look at on the computer screen, and probably even more stuff than that.  Some are used to hold an advertisement on the side.

As far as the seating, most either have seats or baskets.

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson