Advertising/Career in Advertising

Dear Peter,

I have completed my B.Com. I'm now doing my MBA. I also work for an advertising agency as a Sales and Marketing executive. Although I have completed my B.Com, I'm not interested in getting into the financial div. I am a very creative and out of the box thinker. I would like to know the various career options in the Advertising field that I can consider after completing my MBA.

Looking forward to your reply.

Hi Ben,

The creative side of advertising is most challenging to penetrate, that said a strong and knowledgable account manager has to be most creative to move ahead in the industry. The industry is in EXTREME flux currently. Most of the movement is towards online and mobile, social media and more. Event marketing is back but in a revolutionary phase. To keep pace with this ever changing environment keeps many of us up at night.

If you REALLY have your heart set on core creative such as designer, art director, director, creative director, copywriter I can't emphasize enough that you either have the credentials for same or you have the most dynamic portfolio in the market.

If you are already a superb copywriter the only way to get noticed is to mock up strong ads, even ones based on an existing campaign. This is the long way around in my opinion. It would be far better to have a design or copywriting education. I have no idea where you are based or how willing and able you are to continue your education. For me I would choose the best schools money could afford and mentor under someone that is notable.

If I had limitless $$$ my choice would be to study design in Italy (Milan) or Switzerland or if I had to remain in North America I would attend Rhode Island School of Design or Parsons.

There is NO short cut to doing great work. To wet you appetite check out - - -

Tell me more about your capabilities, desires, location and maybe I can help more.

Please let me know what you decide,

Peter Gabany

Strategic planning: Objective based communicaitons, ad creative graphic design, writing, photography - buying and making, illustration - buying, print, outdoor, event, media, media planning, broadcast, how to select an agency, what the client must provide, pitching a client / being pitched

Nearly 30 years in the business - 29 years operating an agency. Creative direction and agency management.

RGD Ontario - Possibly the best graphic design association anywhere. Leading the way in professional accreditation worldwide.

Ryerson University - Photographic Arts CAAP - ICA CPPP - ICA

Reggie Awards winner - Design Edge Canada SoGood Awards Winner - Social Good entries Design At Work Awards - many years.

Our clients are successful in the business of manufacturing, chemical, nuclear, logistics, shipping (ships, trucks, rail, air), medical services (hospitals, ambulance and medical transfer, travel health, medical centres), tourism (fishing, destination, culinary, arts, more), not-for-profit.