Advertising Online/Online Advertising

I am developing a website, and I have been thinking about the advertising aspect of it, as it will be completed soon.  I will be offering a free service and a paid service.  The concept is that - many people will select the free version, but some will want the premium services and will convert.

I was thinking about choosing Facebook cpc because I have heard good things about it doing good targeting.

In thinking about what kind of ad I should run, I was thinking that I should go with the FREE concept and stick to my theory of free to paid conversion.  

However, I really want people who are interested in paying, so I am wondering if I should place facebook ads directed at potential paying customers, because what if I get lots of free people and get no one interested in paying since that is what my ad is advertising.

I have no idea which way to go with this.  I usually figure things out, but I have been back and forth over what the best choice would be and I have no idea.

Do you have an opinion?

Hi Kee,

Firstly, congrats on the new business.

Now as far as your advertising issue goes, here's the thing... when people see free, hey're going to click. If this were a CPM campaign, that'd be a great thing because you'll want to get as much action / activity as possible.

However, when you're paying per click, you'll want to make sure you're getting only the most qualified traffic that'll be most likely to convert into cash paying customers (either right there on the spot or within the next few days).

The problem with using CPC to promote free is that the conversion will likely not happen within a week or month or maybe not even within the year and it gets extremely difficult to know which of your campaigns is working and you could end up pumping more cash into something that isn't or worse, scrapping a strategy that is.

Here's what I'd do:

Build two or three great landing pages promoting your paid service. A quick search on Google for something like "how to build landing pages that convert" should direct you to some helpful articles with tips on creating the best landing page for your product and market.

Set up an A/B test scenario where the two (or three) pages are competing against each other. This will let you know which page / design elements work and which don't so you can optimize effectively. This is a fairly simple set-up you can do with Google Analytics presuming you know your way around the Analytics platform.

Run your Facebook CPC campaign and monitor the campaign closely. Track everything religiously. Make sure you have Analytics code on the landing pages so you can see where the users are clicking once they get to your landing pages and most importantly, see which page(s) are converting best and why so you can join all those elements to create new, superior landing pages.

Now if you're bent on promoting your free services with CPC, you can do the same however I'd keep my spending limits far lower until I'm confident the advertising spend justifies the profits once the [free] visitors have had ample time to convert into paying customers.

Hope this helps and if you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out again.

PS: Let's connect on LinkedIn, follow me on <a href="" target="_blank">Twitter<a> (from time to time I share business tips and interesting info) and keep me posted on what you decided to do and how it went. Best!

Advertising Online

Ivan Jimenez

I can answer questions regarding digital advertising operations as it relates to media planning and strategy, product development, campaign optimization, operations management, business development and site monetization.

I am an interdisciplinary Digital Ad Operations Administrator with over nine years of experience in digital operations and marketing. I offer hands-on implementation expertise in the areas of sales marketing, campaign management, agency relations, ad trafficking, web development, e-commerce, search marketing / optimization and interactive media strategy and promotion disciplines.

I admit, I'm not as active as I'd like to be but there are only so many hours in the day and they say I'm supposed to have a personal life as well :-/ That said, these are some of my professional affiliations: BizTechDay BizTechDay is a conference where inspiring entrepreneurs share practical business and technology strategies. Inbound Marketers Inbound Marketers is a community website for marketers. It is a place where marketers can learn, share knowledge and build relationships. Miami Ad School The Miami Ad School group is a networking group with current students, graduates, teachers, faculty and anyone interested in advertising. SCORE Association SCORE is a nonprofit association of more than 12,400 business experts. The SCORE LinkedIn group was created as a forum to share ideas, insights and items of interest related to small business and entrepreneurship. The Versailles Breakfast Club The group looks at all facets of the business development cycle to discuss how the latest marketing / advertising developments are either positively or negatively impacting their businesses. LED Digest The LED Digest is an email discussion list focused on Internet marketing. It's the #1 discussion list of leaders in the industry. Zeal (by LookSmart) Zeal was a human-powered search engine. As a contributing editor, I helped support the creation of a "human" search engine. All Experts (by Created in early 1998, it was the very first large-scale question and answer service on the net (powered by professional experts). Small Business Administration (Business Marketing and Planning; Hotlist Member) The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) dedicates its energy and resources to providing support to small businesses and small-business owners across the nation.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depends how we want to look at it), online media is more dynamic, faster and much easier to share and disburse content which makes it extremely difficult to track. That said, my writing has appeared on countless properties across the web and I wouldn't be surprised if some of those transitioned over to print media.

As with almost everyone I've ever met, I studied one thing and ended up going in another direction. I studied Accounting / Finance and Business Administration at the ZICKLIN SCHOOL of BUSINESS at BARUCH COLLEGE in New York City. I also studied Spanish Policy, Past, Present and Future in Madrid [SPAIN] at the UNIVERSIDAD ANTONIO de NEBRIJA. Although I didn't think so at first, my background / knowledge in finance and economics coupled with my ability to adapt and thrive in a diverse environment played an integral part in helping me stand out from the crowd in the competitive interactive advertising industry.

I've written no books, entered any competitions or requested any invites to speak at industry events. Quite honestly, I like more personal and specific interactions (hence me offering advice and help through this venue). In my opinion, although we may share some similarities, our problems are usually unique to us. Yes, we both may have business concerns, but mine are not the same as yours (or his, or his, or hers) so how can our solution be?

Too many to list! I've had the pleasure of working on many high-level campaigns for prestigious clients across the globe. I've also worked and brainstormed with plenty of small business owners with BIG ideas... many of which were pure genius! Here's a list of some of the companies I've worked with: Adconion Media Group Air Europa American Airlines American Express American Heart Association Amtrak B3 Mexico Bahamas Tourism Board Bank of America Batanga Network BF Goodrich BIGresearch Blackberry Boost Mobile Bulgari Corporation of America California Lottery Casio Chevy Comcast Christian Dior Colgate Palmolive Continental Airlines Converse Dell, Inc. DHL DISH LATINO Disney Ecko, S.A. Estee Lauder Farmers Insurance Ford Motor Company Fox News Guess HBO HP IBM Infiniti Kimberly-Clark KMART Kodak Kolestone Lean Cuisine Lexus LG Electronics Liberty Mutual Group Linksys Live Nation, Inc. Macy's Maya Entertainment McDonalds MetroPCS Microsoft Nintendo Nissan Ohio Tourism Board Pantelion Films Peugeot Pfizer Pioneer PRESTONE Procter and Gamble Publix Supermarkets Red McCombs Media Royal Caribbean S.C. Johnson - Ziploc Samsung Electronics San Diego Zoo SDG&E:CA Awereness/CARE/Energy Team Skype Small Business Administration (SBA) Sprint St. Jude Children Hospital Symantec T-Mobile Technomarine Toyota Unilever US Army Verizon Victoria's Secret Wal-Mart Walgreens Wells Fargo Western Union WWF